Xcode Extension isn't show up in the Editor menu

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/xcodekit/creating_a_source_editor_extension

I created new MacOS project and added a Xcode Source Editor Extension target to the project. I run the extension in debug mode with extension target, but the extension is not show up in Editor menu debug mode Xcode.

• Xcode version is 15.3(released)
  • MacOS version is 14.4.1 Sonoma

Accepted Reply

There was a ‘recent’ change in the way that Xcode editor extensions should be built [1], and it seems that the Xcode template hasn’t caught up with that change (r. 59274389). So, to fix your problem, do this:

1. In the Project navigator, select your project on the left.

2. In the project editor, select your extension target.

3. In the General tab, scroll down to Frameworks and Libraries.

4. Find the XcodeKit.framework entry.

5. Change the Embed setting from Do Not Embed to Embed & Sign.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

[1] Search the Xcode 12 Release Notes for 59274389.

• Unfortunately, I tried your solution. But the issue is not resolved. I tried to set to Embed & Sign and Embed Without Signing. same issue.

• Wow, I resolved it. I must set Signing team and Certificate properly. If it is None or Sign to Run Locally, isn't show up. Thank you

Add a Comment

Replies

There was a ‘recent’ change in the way that Xcode editor extensions should be built [1], and it seems that the Xcode template hasn’t caught up with that change (r. 59274389). So, to fix your problem, do this:

1. In the Project navigator, select your project on the left.

2. In the project editor, select your extension target.

3. In the General tab, scroll down to Frameworks and Libraries.

4. Find the XcodeKit.framework entry.

5. Change the Embed setting from Do Not Embed to Embed & Sign.

Share and Enjoy

[1] Search the Xcode 12 Release Notes for 59274389.

• Unfortunately, I tried your solution. But the issue is not resolved. I tried to set to Embed & Sign and Embed Without Signing. same issue.

• Wow, I resolved it. I must set Signing team and Certificate properly. If it is None or Sign to Run Locally, isn't show up. Thank you

Add a Comment

If it is None or Sign to Run Locally, isn't show up.

That doesn’t surprise me. For day-to-day development, I strongly recommend Apple Development signing. The easiest way to get that is to enable automatic signing and then select your team from the popup.

Oh, and the reason why that’s so important is that it gives macOS a way to track the identity of your code. See TN3127 Inside Code Signing: Requirements for all the gory details.

Share and Enjoy