Xcode 15 preview won't run till I do a debug session and run the simulator first

So like the title says, when I start up Xcode the preview won;t work till I run a debug session using the simulator.

Sometimes the debug session is unable to start the simulator, which I can start manually then run a debug session.

Once all the above is done, preview works.

Any idea what is causing this behavior?

Replies

Hi,

Sorry to hear you are having problems getting previews working without jumping through some hoops. This is not an issue that we have seen before, so the best next step will be to file a feedback with diagnostics so we can take a look. Make sure to file the feedback when in the state that the preview is failing to launch rather than after you've done the workarounds. I wouldn't ask this, but if you feel up for it capturing the diagnostics both when in the state AND after doing the workarounds and previews is working might be useful for the teams triaging the issue, but make sure to capture timestamps and label things clearly if you do this!

Steps to generate helpful diagnostics:

1. Download and install the logging profile on all devices involved. Instructions and profiles are available here: https://developer.apple.com/bug-reporting/profiles-and-logs/?name=swift
  2. Reproduce the issue
  3. Click the "Diagnostics" button in the error banner in Previews' Canvas area (or if the banner is missing you can use the menu: Editor > Canvas > Diagnostics)
  4. In the sheet that appears, click "Generate Report" in the bottom left of the sheet
  5. Attach (or make from the folder) the resulting zip file to the bug report (will be named something like previews-diagnostics-0123456789.zip)
  6. Generate the sysdiagnose(s) and attach those too
  • Finally happened again, so I ran sysdiagnose before and after and submitted it to feedback

• perfect! what is the feedback ID of the report, and I'll make sure the right folks are looking at it!

• hopefully it’s this:

FB13788117

Add a Comment

I will do the above next time it occurs. Of course I just tried it, and all works normally. Go figure.

Thanks