app crashes updating to Xcode 11.2 from 11.1

This thread has been locked by a moderator.

My app ran without any crashes while using Xcode 11.1. After updating to XCode 11.2, my app experienced a crash:

*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidUnarchiveOperationException', reason: 'Could not instantiate class named _UITextLayoutView because no class named _UITextLayoutView was found; the class needs to be defined in source code or linked in from a library (ensure the class is part of the correct target)'

This crash seems to occur during a perpare for seque, before any of my views appear on the screen.

Any idea on the cause or solution?

Thanks.

Up vote post of shirefriendship
55k views

Accepted Reply

This is addressed in the GM Seed of Xcode 11.2.1. If you are writing a Mac Catalyst app, please also see the release notes for Xcode 11.2.1.

For any other issues you encounter while using Xcode, please file bug reports.

Replies

Same for us! Creating controls in code is no solution/workaround for us. We need a fix in XCode for this.

Before attempting to change the app to work around this bug, can we know when a planned fix will be added and an update to xcode will be available?

Sure we all need, more or less desperately.

Hope that comes with 11.3.

It turns out that although it didn’t crash during my tests, I see crash reports from the App Store. I’ve just downloaded Xcode 11.1 to resubmit.

For those who don't want to downgrade Xcdoe I found a good workaround on Stack Overflow:

https://stackoverflow.com/a/58699326/3437712

Shoutout to aftab muhammed khan!

When will it be edited?

You're "aware" of the issue? "Aware"? Really? Were you "aware" of it when it was still in beta? No? Why not. We demand an expanation. Why did this get released when you were "aware" of this bug. UITextView is a VERY, very, VERY common UI element, found in a HUGE collection of apps. First our OS won't sit still without kernel panicing, and now this.

We don't want a fix for this. We want Apple to fix everything else that's begining to break apart.

If Apple is already aware of the issue, where's the dot release of Xcode to fix this? I agree with others that this is a major problem. I have many UITextViews in storyboards and I'm not about the refactor to use code. I imagine numerous others are in the same boat. Also, not being able to use Xcode 11.2 is a major pain. Just today I was unable to debug an issue on my iPhone 11 Pro with iOS 13.2; a combination that Xcode 11.1 doesn't seem to support.

Please fix ASAP. It's far far cheaper for Apple to do an immediate fix then waste developer's time on the so-called workaround. Or, the lost productivity of not being able to move to 11.2.

One of the internal apps I created years ago has a storyboard with every possible type of UI element. I then have tests around this. It's a great way to see what may break between releases. I surely hope Apple has something similar they can run so that bugs like these do not make it to developers.

Looks like Xcode 11.2.1 GM has it fixed. 🙂

I don’t understand how Xcode with this kind of bug went out to public.. :/ basic feature, not some crazy new framework etc :/ I would really like to know what happened, how did we get that crash 😀

This is addressed in the GM Seed of Xcode 11.2.1. If you are writing a Mac Catalyst app, please also see the release notes for Xcode 11.2.1.

For any other issues you encounter while using Xcode, please file bug reports.

Thank you!

I've found the misbehavior in subclasses of UIButton and UITextField, too. Unfortunately, Xcode 11.2.1 doesn't help. 😢

11.2.1 did not totally solve this crash for me. Same UITextField crash issue on sim running 12.2, but iPhone running 13.2 now ok

Make sure to file bugs with these addtional cases.

Updating to XCode 11.2.1 did not help with this crash in my particular situation.

As a hail Mary, I deleted each text field and then did "control-Z" to undo the delete. This fixed the crash after watching it crash on XCode 11.2.1 serveral times. To be more specific, I deleted them all, ran the app, added one back at a time using control-Z to see if a particular one was causing it. No crashes so I'm releasing it. Now that we know our testing may not yield the same results when the app is downloaded from the app store, I'll be testing it before the users get to it...hopefully.

I would imagine that by deleting the fields and undoing it, the internals of the text field that were causing the crash were updated to whatever newer stuff likes. If you're about to throw your computer through the window, this might just save you some money for the window and the computer 😉