Promo Codes not redeemable?!

Hi guys,

my App is currently in "Pending Developer Release" and i created about 10 Promo Codes.

I received complaints that these Codes are not redeemable, iTunes says "Error connecting to Store".

This document: https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/LanguagesUtilities/Conceptual/iTunesConnect_Guide/Chapters/ProvidingPromoCodes.html

says: "Promo codes apply to a specific app version, so when users redeem promo codes for a version of an app that hasn’t been released yet, they download the prerelease version."

So i understand this right that i don't have to release the App for the Codes to be functional right? Can somebody tell me what could be wrong?

Thank you in advance

Replies

This seems to be an FAQ recently, so here goes again.

"Error connecting to Store" - does not mean the redeem codes can't be used. It means what it says, that the user can't get into the store.

The backend is always a bit brittle, but more so than usual lately, I guess, so the only thing to do is to keep trying.

Good luck.

Well turns out, after flipping the switch to make the App "Ready for Sale" the Codes made no problems anymore. I wonder whats the deal about this. How can you send a Promo Code to the Press or Blogs that may review it before you go live?

If someone could clarify please...

>after flipping the switch to make the App "Ready for Sale" the Codes made no problems anymore.

I'd wonder if that was co-incidental to being able to get into the store at all.

>How can you send a Promo Code to the Press or Blogs that may review it before you go live?

In the past, you could do just that, I think.

Thanks for the followup, tho, and good luck in the store.

Hello guys, so, _mkurz we have the same problem. We want to contact press but promo codes is not redeemable in "pending developers release" status. What do you recommend for us? We have a plan to make the game ready for sale, but turn off all regions for avaibility. So the game will be ready for sale but otherwise - no. How do you think, promo codes will be redeemable in this way?

Thank you.

Just wanted to chime in to say that I'm having the same problem, and have been for three days now. I started a twitter thread and it seems like I'm not the only one having the issue (https://twitter.com/jakesones/status/654324700139552769). It appears to be a server side issue that isn't covered by the standard server status page (https://developer.apple.com/system-status/).

Has anyone been able to get this issue to clear up WITHOUT putting their app on sale? Does anyone know if this is broken functionality or a temporary connectivity issue that I've been unlucky enough to experience every time I've attempted over the past 3 days?

I've had another reply that has been in moderation for over 24 hours now. I'm hoping if I don't include links in this one, it will go through.

Apple changed some things recently and it's currently possible for your app to be in a state where you can generate promo codes, but they can't be redeemed. That state is "Pending Developer Release." I spoke with dev support (1-800-633-2152) and they've put in a ticket to get this fixed.

Since this is my first app, I didn't realize that there's a state AFTER "Pending Developer Release" but BEFORE your app is actually released. When you click "Release This Version" it doesn't ACTUALLY release it until the date that you've set in the "Pricing and Availability" section. In fact, your app WON'T EVER GO ON SALE from the "Pending Developer Release" state, so this bug actually saved me some launch day embarassment.

Once you've flagged the post-apple-approved build as your verified release candidate by pressing "Release This Version" your app will briefly be in the state "Preparing For App Store" before it becomes "Ready For Sale" at which point your promo codes will work and your app will launch on the pre-defined date.

How all of this works for manually released apps, I have no idea. I can only assume that will be addressed with the incoming fix that the call to dev support initiated.

Good info, thanks for the followup.

Hey mate,

Can you guide me a little more since I see that I can do nothing in "Pricing and Availability" to define my release date, the new iTunes Connect interface don't give me place to do so? is it normal?

Best,

Liem Thai

My people have been seeing this problem too.

Promo codes are not working for apps Pending Developer Release. It fails in iTunes, the OSX App Store, and the iOS App Store.

I also called Apple Developer Support and reported the issue.

This still seems to be a problem. I have not figured out a way to set a date for release using the work around in this thread.

So my promo codes don't work because I am in "Pending Developer Release" state. Does anyone have a way to get around this?

The problem still persists. It's been more than a week, now.

Looks like what people are doing is releasing the app, removing it from availability, and then distributing promo codes. It means you're not listed as a new app, but so many are released every day anyway, I guess it doesn't hurt too much.

There's a tweet by @jakejones that speaks with some authority (scroll down to Oct 15.)

It suggests you hit release, and change the availability date to the future. Though we all know changing the availability date isn't functional at the moment...

edit: And removing it from availability disables promo codes. The only solution is to release the app in at least one territory

This is such a huge dissappointment. My application release is now delayed / cancelled.

I am very sad to learn that Apple has left such severe bugs unfixed for so long.

I also attempted to create a TSI about this and called in to Developer Support for assistance.

No solution, work around or manual Apple intervention is possible. Developers are just stuck.

It *****, but I would urge you to do as I suggested: release the app, remove from availability in all but one market, and proceed with your promo distribution.

The slight uptick you get for being a brand-new app in the store is arguably not significant these days.

If you want, upon your official intended release you can make a case with dev support to have your listed release date changed.

Same issue still in effect on the Mac App Store on Oct 23.

With our app "Pending Developer Release," we sent out a few promo codes this week (fortunately, we've only sent them to close contacts so far, and not reporters. We wanted to make sure everything worked as planned). Anyone trying to redeem the code is reporting that they first get the message "Code redemption temporarily unavailable. Try again later." Worse yet, when they "try again later," they either get the same message or worse: They see "This code has already been redeemed."

In fact, iTunesConnect is showing that a handful of "free" installs have been reported, but I know with certainty that NOBODY has been able to complete an installation this week.Our plan was to launch the product early next week, but it's looking like we may have to do so without fanfare.

Incredibly disappointing.

Hello,
In my case requesting Paid Applications Contract in Agreements, Tax, and Banking helped.
It might be the case only if you got paid application or iAds.