Changing an App's Primary Language is broken in New App Store Connect

The new (2020) App Store Connect seems to have a bug which prevents changing the primary language of an app.

I am familiar with the process, as I have changed the primary language of apps just prior to the 2020 App Store Connect update.

To change the primary language, you must first manually add screenshots for the language that you want to be primary, and they must be approved for the App Store, you can normally then change the primary language for the app in the next update afterwards.

While I now have the drop-down menu for the primary language, (in the past this indicates that the screenshot requirements are met) selecting the new language now produces an error:

You must first provide all the required screenshots for each version in this language

I am 100% certain that all screenshots are provided for the language on all platforms. I have been through this process for other apps shortly before the update. In my case, all required screenshots for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch. None of the screenshots are being derived from another localization’s screenshots.

However, I notice that the media manager in the new 2020 App Store Connect, doesn't allow you to un-check or disable deriving screenshots for platforms that you're not submitting screenshots for. In my case, my app is not an iMessage app, but the media manager is deriving iMessage screenshots (none) from the old primary language. I guess this is causing the bug, because my (0) iMessage screenshots are still being derived from the old primary language.

I have just submitted a new update with dummy iMessage screenshots for each localization, however I suspect it will be rejected because it's not an iMessage app.

Has anybody else managed to get around this issue, or is someone from support able to help? I contacted Apple Developer Support with a detailed explanation, but they simply replied with the normal instructions for changing the language, which does not address the actual issue I described.
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of joeallenpro Down vote post of joeallenpro
4.6k views

Replies

I have exactly the same problem, but couldn`t find a workaround.
Same problem. I also believe the problem is with App Store deriving iMessage even if the app does not support that.

Did you need to submit fake Apple Watch screenshots too?

Also thinking about submitting fake images. Was your App rejected?

This is a serious bug TBH. Is anyone from Apple reading this forum?

Did anyone ever find a way around this?

Got the same problem - a couple of month ago it worked without problem.

• How? I am trying to change the primary language of the app and looks like it is not working.

Add a Comment

Experiencing the same problem here, can't find a workaround. Anybody heard anything from Apple?