Using Core Data with SwiftUI App Protocol

Is it possible to use CoreData with the newly announces SwiftUI App Protocol for 100% SwiftUI apps. If I need to create an app with persistant storage, is there a way to achieve this with the new protocol? I like the idea of having my app fully compatable across all systems.

Thanks.

Accepted Reply

Yes, you can setup everything you need directly in your App as following:

Code Block swift
@main
struct SampleApp: App {
    @Environment(\.scenePhase) private var scenePhase
    var body: some Scene {
        WindowGroup {
            MovieList()
                .environment(\.managedObjectContext, persistentContainer.viewContext)
        }
        .onChange(of: scenePhase) { phase in
            switch phase {
            case .active:
                print("active")
            case .inactive:
                print("inactive")
            case .background:
                print("background")
                saveContext()
            }
        }
    }
    var persistentContainer: NSPersistentContainer = {
        let container = NSPersistentContainer(name: "SampleApp")
        container.loadPersistentStores(completionHandler: { (storeDescription, error) in
            if let error = error as NSError? {
                fatalError("Unresolved error \(error), \(error.userInfo)")
            }
        })
        return container
    }()
    func saveContext() {
        let context = persistentContainer.viewContext
        if context.hasChanges {
            do {
                try context.save()
            } catch {
                let nserror = error as NSError
                fatalError("Unresolved error \(nserror), \(nserror.userInfo)")
            }
        }
    }
}

Replies

@ryanbdevilled Yes, you can. This pattern is used by Apple in their libraries such as NotificationCenter.default (->"default" is the singleton), DispatchQueue.main (->main is the singleton), UserDefaults.standard (->standard is the singleton).

This pattern helps to have a single instance of an object shared across all your app. And of course you can code another functions in order to help your persistentObject, like func saveContext(), func deleteAll(), etc. The possibilities are infinity.

I use this pattern to have 1 record of entity shared across all my app, this way:

Code Block
final class PersistentStore: ObservableObject {
@Published var patient: Patient
init(patientUUID: UUID) {
/* Fetch request, get the patient with that UUID, etc
... */
}
func changePatient(to: UUID) {
}
}

And whenever that patient changes all my SwiftUI views that are observing the "patient" variable reloads automatically. If you want reload your conventional UIKit/AppKit views you can do this also:

Code Block
var cancellableBag = Set<AnyCancellable>()
override func viewDidLoad {
PersistentStore.shared.patient.objectWillChange.sink { _in
reloadView() /* Or other implementations of what you want to do */
}.store(in: &cancellableBag)
}

@mtsrodrigues:
There is an error at line:
.environment(\.managedObjectContext, persistentContainer.viewContext)

Error: "Cannot use mutating getter on immutable value: 'self' is immutable"

Nicolae

Thanks @AlbertUI. I like your implementation in a singleton pattern. However I get the following error:

Code Block
MainView().environment(\.managedObjectContext, PersistentStore.shared)

Error: > Cannot convert value of type 'PersistentStore' to expected argument type 'NSManagedObjectContext'

My implementation looks like this:

Code Block
import Foundation
import CoreData
final class PersistentStore: ObservableObject {
    @Published var accounts = [Account]()
    static let shared = PersistentStore()
    private init() {
        fetchEntries()
    }
    func fetchEntries() {
            let moc = persistentContainer.viewContext
            let request: NSFetchRequest<Account> = Account.fetchRequest()
            do {
                let accountsCoreData = try moc.fetch(request)
                accounts = accountsCoreData
            } catch {
                print("Fetch failed: Error \(error.localizedDescription)")
                accounts = []
            }
        }
    var persistentContainer: NSPersistentContainer = {
        let container = NSPersistentContainer(name: "Model")
        container.loadPersistentStores(completionHandler: { (storeDescription, error) in
            if let error = error as NSError? {
                fatalError("Unresolved error \(error), \(error.userInfo)")
            }
        })
        return container
    }()
    func saveContext() {
        if context.hasChanges {
            do {
                try context.save()
            } catch {
                fatalError("Unresolved error \(nserror), \(nserror.userInfo)")
            }
        }
    }
}

@AlbertUI Hmm, I tried your approach, and tried passing PersistentStore.shared into the environment
Code Block
        WindowGroup {
            MovieList()
.environment(\.managedObjectContext, PersistentStore.shared)
}
}

But I got an error saying that it could not convert type PersistentStore to expected argument type NSManagedObjectContext. Any ideas? PersistentStore.shared would be type PersistentStore, which wouldn't work if you need to pass in a NSManagedObjectContext, right?
@DannyCamenisch @ryanbdevilled  Add this variable to the PersistentStore:

Code Block swift
var context: NSManagedObjectContext {
return persistentContainer.viewContext
}

Then you can pass this in the environment as follows:

Code Block swift
WindowGroup {           
MovieList()
.environment(\.managedObjectContext, PersistentStore.shared.context)
}
}

Thanks @mtsrodrigues and other contributors. I am developing an app that uses UIManagedDocument in conjunction with UIDocumentBrowserViewController and would like to migrate this to SwiftUI. It sees to me as though the new DocumentGroup stuff might be coaxed into using the same approach. Any ideas?

@DannyCamenisch, @ryanbdevilled - I think it should be PersistentStore.shared.persistentContainer.viewContext, which is an NSManagedObjectContext, instead of just PersistentStore.shared.

e.g.
Code Block
MainView().environment(\.managedObjectContext, PersistentStore.shared.persistentContainer.viewContext)

I think a few people have suggested something similar to what m2ike suggested:
Code Block
MainView().environment(\.managedObjectContext, PersistentStore.shared.persistentContainer.viewContext)

It certainly works to read the viewContext from the PersistentStore. However, speaking only for myself, I'm looking for a way to create a wrapper class around the NSPersistentContainer instance that can be passed around the entire view hierarchy, and not only pass around the viewContext. The reason for this is that I want custom methods for saving, creating new entity objects, fetching specific sets entities, etc. In order to do this, there seem to be at least 4 different approaches:
  1. Pass the context through the \.managedObjectContext environment key, and recreate all the save, creating, fetching functions wherever you read the context [Obviously this would be a silly approach, with a lot of duplicated code prone to errors]

2. Create a helper class that contains all the save, creating, fetching functions, and pass that into the environment, while separately passing around the viewContext as described above. [This works, but it would be better to pass the context and the helper functions together].

3. Pass the store instance into the environment as an environmentObject, but not using the \.managedObjectContext key [This seems like it should work, but the app kept crashing when it tried to read the fetched objects from the store - most likely I was doing something wrong.]

4. Something like what AlbertUI proposed, but with some (currently unknown?) tweak to address the problem that the \.managedObjectContext key requires an NSManagedObjectContext object instead of a store singleton.

@nicolaeturcan

There is an error at line: .environment(\.managedObjectContext, persistentContainer.viewContext) Error: "Cannot use mutating getter on immutable value: 'self' is immutable"

Did you use lazy var persistentContainer? If so, then making it non-lazy should work.

@42Wowbaggers

Did you use lazy var persistentContainer? If so, then making it non-lazy should work.

While this will indeed silence the error, it'll also mean that a new persistent container is created each time persistentContainer is accessed. lazy is used to make sure the closure is only ever executed once.

IMO the best approach would be to move the initialisation of the container into a private init()—so the store can only be accessed through the shared singleton—and make persistentContainer immutable.

Code Block swift
class PersistentStore {
let persistentContainer: NSPersistentContainer
private init() {
self.persistentContainer = // ...
}
}

You can find a sample using Core Data with the SwiftUI Life Cycle here:
https://github.com/bmaciag/SwiftUI-App-with-Core-Data

My two cents...

My Core Data implementation for SwiftUI using the new App and Scene protocols and Window container!

Credit to:
  • mtsrodrigues for how to deal with change of Scene in his answer in this thread.

• KrakenDev's article on how to write a one line singleton

My SwiftUI App...

Code Block
import SwiftUI
@main
struct YourApp: App {
    @Environment(\.scenePhase) private var scenePhase
    @StateObject private var persistentStore = PersistentStore.shared
        WindowGroup {
            ContentView()
                .environment(\.managedObjectContext, persistentStore.context)
        }
        .onChange(of: scenePhase) { phase in
            switch phase {
            case .active:
                print("\(#function) REPORTS - App change of scenePhase to ACTIVE")
            case .inactive:
                print("\(#function) REPORTS - App change of scenePhase to INACTIVE")
            case .background:
                print("\(#function) REPORTS - App change of scenePhase to BACKGROUND")
                savePersistentStore()
            @unknown default:
                fatalError("\(#function) REPORTS - fatal error in switch statement for .onChange modifier")
            }
        }
    }
    func savePersistentStore() {
        persistentStore.save()
    }
}

My "Core Data stack" - essentially Apple's template code embedded within a custom class that conforms to ObservableObject.

Code Block
import SwiftUI
import CoreData
class PersistentStore: ObservableObject {
    var context: NSManagedObjectContext { persistentContainer.viewContext }

// One line singleton
// Mark the class private so that it is only accessible through the singleton `shared` static property
    private init() {}
    private let persistentStoreName: String = "YourPersistentStoreName"
    // MARK: - Core Data stack
    lazy var persistentContainer: NSPersistentContainer = {
        let container = NSPersistentContainer(name: persistentStoreName)
// OR - Include the following line for use with CloudKit - NSPersistentCloudKitContainer
        // let container = NSPersistentCloudKitContainer(name: persistentStoreName)
        // Enable history tracking
        // (to facilitate previous NSPersistentCloudKitContainer's to load as NSPersistentContainer's)
        // (not required when only using NSPersistentCloudKitContainer)
        guard let persistentStoreDescriptions = container.persistentStoreDescriptions.first else {
            fatalError("\(#function): Failed to retrieve a persistent store description.")
        }
        persistentStoreDescriptions.setOption(true as NSNumber,
                                              forKey: NSPersistentHistoryTrackingKey)
        persistentStoreDescriptions.setOption(true as NSNumber,
                                              forKey: NSPersistentStoreRemoteChangeNotificationPostOptionKey)
            if let error = error {
                // Replace this implementation with code to handle the error appropriately.
                fatalError("Unresolved error \(error)")
            }
        })
// Include the following line for use with CloudKit - NSPersistentCloudKitContainer
        container.viewContext.automaticallyMergesChangesFromParent = true
// Include the following line for use with CloudKit and to set your merge policy, for example...
container.viewContext.mergePolicy = NSMergeByPropertyObjectTrumpMergePolicy 
        return container
    }()
    // MARK: - Core Data Saving and "other future" support (such as undo)
    func save() {
        if !context.commitEditing() {
            NSLog("\(NSStringFromClass(type(of: self))) unable to commit editing before saving")
        }
        if context.hasChanges {
            do {
                try context.save()
            } catch {
                // Customize this code block to include application-specific recovery steps.
                NSApplication.shared.presentError(nserror)
            }
        }
    }
}

To use the context within a Preview...

Code Block
struct YourSwiftUIStruct_Previews: PreviewProvider {
    static var previews: some View {
        let context = PersistentStore.shared.context
        return YourSwiftUIStruct()
            .environment(\.managedObjectContext, context)
    }
}

@andrewbuilder

Hey there. Is it necessary to make the persistentStore a @StateObject? Isn't it ok by just passing the context from your shared store into the environment, just like in the pre-generated code from Apple? I'm pretty new to SwiftUI so someone please explain if you can and have some time :) Thank you in advance!
@andrewbuilder's answer is excellent. The only thing that needs to be changed is making "persistentContainer" a let instead of a lazy var. As as lazy var, the persistent container will not load in time for the first view. This caused a crash when my first view was trying to access my core data persistent container. However by making it a constant variable, this issue went away.
Beta 5 now includes a template. But the template doesn't appear to have a saveContext for when the scene moves to the background. Am I missing something?