[Apple Watch] Unable to Check for Update - Not connected to the internet error

Hi. I am pairing my Apple Watch Series 5 to my iPhone running ios 14. The pairing is successful but unable to proceed with the set up because an update is needed to be downloaded first. I updated the os for watch but I keep on getting “Unable to Check for Update - Checking for a software update failed because you are not connected to the internet”. I am definitely connected to the internet.

Watch was reset to factory defaults and I am now pairing it as a new device but it fails due to the issue mentioned above.
  • I solved this issue by uninstalling the Watch app from my iphone and reloading it. After reloading the app I paired the watch to the phone and the update started loading.

• I will say one thing today was a frustrating day trying to get the watch to pair for a few hours. Finally I have success. My fix is the same as many but it took only one try when I changed the Country and Language. I decided to use language Portuguese, and country Afghanistan. It worked. so mad I could not see straight. But success, hope it works for you. It will.

• Apple Watch 3, iPhone 11Pro w/ iOS 14.6 - nothing works to update the watch and make it a usable device, it's basically a dud now. I've tried resetting the iPhone and trying to update the watch in different language. No dice!

Accepted Reply

Hard resetting iPhone fixed this issue.

Steps are:
  1. Press Volume Up and let go.

2. Press Volume Down and let go.

3. Press and hold the side button.

Note: This does not wipe any data from your phone
  • This didn't work for me.

• Same issue here. Reset series 3 Apple Watch to factory settings and tried to pair with iPhone X on iOS 14.6 and no matter what I do, I get the not connected to internet error when I am most definitely online.

restart, reset, reinstalling watch, changing languages, changing region- none of that worked. Very frustrating!

• @Patcwin thanks, that worked for me

Replies

YA’LL.... the stuff I went though for it to finally work.

I did everything everyone said above and NONE of it worked until this:

Reset everything — your watch, your phone AND your modem for your internet. It doesn’t matter how your phone is reset (either hard or shut down via settings). Reset your router/modem, when it pops back up after the reset, click “forget network” (settings >wifi> click the “i” with the circle around it and then click “forget network”), enter your password and try it again.

Hope it works for you!
Hi everyone! So I’ve seen this issue everywhere. After months, I’ve literally found the issue. I kid you not, all you have to do is remove passcode from the watch app or use someone else’s watch app to update, but make sure passcode is off on the watch app. It sounds so unrealistic, but after trying everything, my watch is finally updated and back to normal.
Add a Comment
There seem to be a problem with iOS 13 and above. I almost sent back a phone I bought recently on Amazon as I could not pair it with my Apple SE2020 with iOS14.4. If you encounter this problem, the solution is to sign out of iCloud on your phone (Settings>select your profile>scroll to the bottom and sign out. NB: You will need all your account verification in order to sign out). Once you have signed out, reconnect the phone to your wifi. Next, reset the watch (switch the power off>switch power on>when the logo appear, hold the power button until you see erase setting, erase the setting accordingly>restart the watch). Restart the pairing process and you will be good to go. Remember to sign back to iCloud. You will NOT lose any data on your phone
@Beem335i's solution seems to have worked for me too! Signing out of iCloud made me irrationally nervous but I couldn't get the update to work by just doing a hard reset on the watch and phone alone.
On my end, changing the language or the location did the trick weirdly. Good luck guys.
Anyone that has tried, @Beem335i's solution, how long did you have to wait to get it to automatically update as he said?

@amartinv thank you! This worked perfectly.
I have done everything mentioned in this thread and still cannot get my watch to pair. I wanted to contact support but I cannot without the serial number. I have a series 3 watch, so it's not printed on the back and because it's not paired, it's not on the Watch App. Incredibly frustrating.
I have tried everything and nothing has worked!!! '
I am ready to jut throw the whole watch away.. lol
Hey everyone!

Was pairing replaced S4 watch with my 12ProMax today, got that annoying message.
Tried resets, reboots, wifi router reset.
Tried unlinking iCloud, as @Beem335i writes.
No luck.

But then - I went to iPhones Settings and made Network Reset. And boom!

Hope that helps anyone.
So I tried Beem5i's suggestions and I honestly think the bugger here is Low Power Mode.

I was about to give up and then after I attempted all his steps, go into Settings > Battery.

Turn on Lower Power Mode and attempt to pair watch again. It randomly then started updating! Apple software is some of the best, but this is a huge bug.
So i had similar issue with Apple Watch 3. Just couldn’t update as same error kept popping up again and again after trying all resorts mentioned below except complete reset which I wasn’t very confident to do due to fear of losing data.

So what worked for me -
Had a spare iPhone SE sitting in the storage. Ran a full reset on it, set it up again and reset the watch by pressing on/off button for more than 30 seconds after apple logo appears and
IT WORKED.

Just couldn’t believe it. Apple support over the chat & phone wasn’t able to do much either.

I hope this helps someone who went through same problem and felt like throwing away the watch in the bin ✌🏼

Series 4 AW. iPhone XS with iOS 14.4. 

I tried all the tips other people gave and spoke to Apple Support with no luck... 

... but I managed to get it working by changing the language on my AW. In the start up where it asks English > UK, I selected Portuguese > UK. Download started immediately.
I have tried everything listed above multiple times and nothing seems to make any difference. I am close to throwing this watch through the wall. This is making me maybe rethink my relationship with Apple.
I had this issue too none of the suggestions worked. What I had to do was select pair manually and enter the code from the watch into my phone instead of scanning the watch. Now updating