Unable to install xcode command line developer tools

I recently did a factory reset on my Macbook Pro and I'm trying to get the xcode command line developer tools back.

When I run xcode-select --version I get the following:

xcode-select version 2373.

Even though I have a version number for xcode-select (2373) I don't seem to have access to basic developer tools. For example, here is what happens when I try to use git.

xcode-select: note: no developer tools were found at '/Applications/Xcode.app', requesting install. Choose an option in the dialog to download the command line developer tools.

This prompts me to install the command line developer tools. When I click install I get the following error.

Can’t install the software because it is not currently available from the Software Update server.

I also run into the exact same issue when I run xcode-select --install.

Note: I'm currently running macOS Catalina Version 10.15.6

Accepted Reply

I managed to fix the issue... I didn't have Xcode installed. I downloaded it through the App Store and everything went back to normal.

If you run into this problem, check to make sure you have Xcode installed first 🤦‍♂️
  • Yes, this solved the problem. Thank you.

• bonjour j'utilise un mac high sierra c'est a dire la version 10.13 et je travaille sur un projet flutter j'ai du donc installé la version anterieur de xcode qui est 9.4.1 sur mon mac, le repertoire s'affiche bien ainsi que le build qui me montre la version de xcode installé mais je n'arrive pas a installé la commande developper tools. comment m'y prendre ? est ce possible de developper en flutter avec ce mac ?

• For me I got this message "xcode-select: note: install requested for command line developer tools" and there is a prompt in UI to confirm the installation.

Add a Comment

Replies

Can’t install the software because it is not currently available from the Software Update server.

I'll assume you're working w/Xcode 12.x (non-beta), but that admonition seems clear enuf, given the current influx of updates and how busy the update servers are right now.

Note the 12.x CLTs are out as of yesterday, so rather than run a local command, maybe download and then go: https://download.developer.apple.com/Developer_Tools/Command_Line_Tools_for_Xcode_12_GM_seed/Command_Line_Tools_for_Xcode_12_GM_seed.dmg

Perhaps the signing servers aren't so tied up ;)

Good luck.
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of KMT Down vote reply of KMT
I managed to fix the issue... I didn't have Xcode installed. I downloaded it through the App Store and everything went back to normal.

If you run into this problem, check to make sure you have Xcode installed first 🤦‍♂️
  • Yes, this solved the problem. Thank you.

• bonjour j'utilise un mac high sierra c'est a dire la version 10.13 et je travaille sur un projet flutter j'ai du donc installé la version anterieur de xcode qui est 9.4.1 sur mon mac, le repertoire s'affiche bien ainsi que le build qui me montre la version de xcode installé mais je n'arrive pas a installé la commande developper tools. comment m'y prendre ? est ce possible de developper en flutter avec ce mac ?

• For me I got this message "xcode-select: note: install requested for command line developer tools" and there is a prompt in UI to confirm the installation.

Add a Comment
Ah....that makes sense. Thanks for the followup and good luck w/your apps.
This is still happening for me. Prior to Xcode 12, Xcode itself was not required to install the command line tools using xcode-select. When will xcode-select --install be fixed?
I am also having this issue. JetBrains says "Invalid path to Command Line Tools" but when I try the fix, it opens up a dialog that either hangs or tells me the software is not currently available.

I got this issue both before and after updating Xcode. I also recently just switched to Catalina, I was not having this problem before.

UPDATE: I think I fixed it by downloading the tools manually at https://developer.apple.com/download/more/?=command%20line%20tools
Add a Comment
The solution from @bubbleshadow did work for me.

UPDATE: I think I fixed it by downloading the tools manually at https://developer.apple.com/download/more/?=command%20line%20tools

Same here. Downloading CommandLineToolsforXcode_12.dmg directly fixed the problem.
All of these replies helped me. Thanks!
The problem is still present. With XCode 12.1 ("version 2373"), xcode-select --install still results in the reported failure, perhaps because there is not a matching version of the tools package in the repository. The version CommandLineToolsforXcode12GM_seed works when manually downloaded, but it appears it is not what XCode is requesting. It doesn't seem like it should be a significant effort to add appropriately named package to the repository.
https://developer.apple.com/download/more/?=command%20line%20tools
download and fix.
The xcode-select --install command still does not work. While it is possible to download the Command Line Tools installer, this is less than a desirable workaround.

The xcode-select --install command has been broken since the release of Xcode 12 over a month ago.
Still running into this issue. Happens on both Catalina & Big Sur.
I think it's actually a combination of both:
You have to have Xcode installed and Command Line Tools only get installed if downloaded manually from the page linked above.
At least that was the case for me two times now.

We used to be able to install Command Line Tools standalone without the need for the whole Xcode which personally i don't need.

As Homebrew bottles depend on Command Line Tools for installation i hereby plea to reinstate that functionality.
This is extraordinary - not in a good way!

I had this problem on another Catalina machine, about a month ago, and i went back and forth between "xcode-select --install" and deletions. Eventually, i have no idea what i did, CLT was installed. Hura. I thought, "this will never happen again" because i didn't realize it was a widespread phenomenon, and forgot about it.

Now i'm trying to get brew to work on another Catalina machine. Whatever my fooling around was before i am failing to "just do it". So, i followed the instructions here... i went to the Apple Developer site and downloaded the CLT and now brew works again.

But, here's the thing... the downloaded .dmg is ~435MB, and the installer used >2.4GB disk space! What?! I only want the CLT. If i wanted a package that big i would install the whole Xcode package and just hope that the client doesn't do anything destructive by mistake.

I really don't like Apple's way of using our machines the way THEY want, not the way we want. I have already transitioned myself to a linux box, and i'm seriously thinking of moving my clients with me.

Solution found, but Apple's solution is not appreciated.

ps Just to be clear, i appreciate the community for finding and publishing the solution. I just think Apple does not care about small Developers.
This is blocking me from running python3 or pip3
Attempts install CLT, fails, bails, that's all.

The good news is I only need to download and install CLT from the link in this forum thread. I did not need to install Xcode from anywhere.