.well-known/apple-developer-merchantid-domain-association domain-verification file: restrict access to Apple?

Must access to the domain-verification file for Apple-Pay at
Code Block
https://[DOMAIN_NAME]/.well-known/apple-developer-merchantid-domain-association

be restricted to the Apple Pay IP addresses provided under the Allow Apple IP Addresses for Domain Verification heading of Setting Up Your Server | Apple Developer Documentation or can it be accessed publicly?

Asking because ".well-known" is usually meant to be public but, because the domain-verification file is used to validate a domain, should the file not be protected from public access so the file cannot be retrieved with the malicious intent to validate a spoofed domain?
Also, the fact the domain-verification file content is not trivial hints its access should be restricted.

Thank you!

Accepted Reply

or can it be accessed publicly

For domain verification it is advised to have this file publicly accessibly. Those IP in our documentation are for allowing firewall access for domains that are not publicly accessed in a closed network.

Matt Eaton
DTS Engineering, CoreOS
meaton3@apple.com

Replies

or can it be accessed publicly

For domain verification it is advised to have this file publicly accessibly. Those IP in our documentation are for allowing firewall access for domains that are not publicly accessed in a closed network.

Matt Eaton
DTS Engineering, CoreOS
meaton3@apple.com

@meaton

Connect PayPal to ApplePay

1. I see I should place the file in mysite. com/.wellknown/apple-developer-merchantid-domain-association-file-live

2. The file name I downloaded is named "domain-association-file-live"

a. mysite. com/.well-known/apple-developer-merchantid-domain-association/domain-association-file-live

b. mysite. com/.well-known/apple-developer-merchantid-domain-association and rename file "domain-association-file-live" to "apple-developer-merchantid-domain-association"