Xcode 12.5 altool notarization failing intermittently

Since upgrading to Xcode 12.5, attempting to submit an app for notarization with /usr/bin/xcrun altool --notarize-app has started failing ~10% of the time with the error Upload succeeded but did not receive a RequestUUID.. Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Code Block <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>os-version</key>
<string>11.2.0</string>
<key>product-errors</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>code</key>
<integer>-1018</integer>
<key>message</key>
<string>Upload succeeded but did not receive a RequestUUID.</string>
<key>userInfo</key>
<dict>
<key>NSLocalizedDescription</key>
<string>Upload succeeded but did not receive a RequestUUID.</string>
<key>NSLocalizedFailureReason</key>
<string>Unable to upload your app for notarization.</string>
</dict>
</dict>
</array>
<key>tool-path</key>
<string>/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/SharedFrameworks/ContentDeliveryServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/AppStoreService.framework</string>
<key>tool-version</key>
<string>4.050.1210</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Replies

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

You’re not the only person seeing this, but I don’t yet have any info to share as to what’s causing it. For the moment I think the best thing to do is file a bug against the notary service. Please post your bug number, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"
Thanks! Filed as FB9098306

Filed as FB9098306

Thanks.

It’s likely that this will be addressed server side but I don’t have any concrete info to share about the timeline.

Share and Enjoy

It’s likely that this will be addressed server side

Word from the team is that the fix for this went live yesterday. If you continue to have problems, please file a bug report (a new one if necessary) and then post the number here.

Share and Enjoy

Hmmm, it seems that various folks are still having problems with this (indeed, I managed to reproduce this myself) so the investigation continues (r. 77913568).

Share and Enjoy

indeed, I managed to reproduce this myself

In my case I am able to notarise from the command line using altool. So, if you’re stuck behind this problem then, in addition to filing a bug, please try this as a workaround.

Share and Enjoy

Had this issue today, all I had to do was go to App Store Connect and accept the new terms.

FB9206318

I'm now up to 14 days of this notarisation error.

Whilst others have reported fixing the contracts is a solution, I'm a member of several defunct organisations in Apple Developer, so unclear whether an association with entities that have not signed the contract is part of the issue. The specific organisation trying to submit an app for notarisation has been confirmed to have signed all outstanding contracts.

I'm now at 1 month and still can't notarise apps.

This issue was related to being a member of defunct organisations in the developer program.

They no longer paid their developer account annual fee and were no longer supporting their app.

Simply being a member broke notarisation.

I had to be removed from those organisations for things to work again.

There is a feature that allows you to remove yourself from organisations. Previously, there was only a way to contact that organiser of that account to have yourself removed. Now you can do this yourself, without trying to contact people who are no longer with an organisation.

This issue was related to being a member of defunct organisations in the developer program.

Interesting. Thanks for posting this explanation.

Just FYI, this is likely to be only an issue with the old notarisation infrastructure, as used by Xcode and altool. The new infrastructure, used by notarytool, is a lot better at working out what team you’re trying to notarise for.

If you’re curious about the new infrastructure, see WWDC 2021 Session 10261 Faster and simpler notarization for Mac apps.

Share and Enjoy

FB12919201 here is my bug filing number please let me know as soon as possible.

In the year since this thread was last active Apple has officially announced a sunset date for notarising with altool, namely 1 Nov 2023. If you’re still doing this, switch to notarytool now. For specific advice on how to make the leap, see TN3147 Migrating to the latest notarization tool.

Share and Enjoy