SharePlay and Multiple Apps

I was hoping to add support for SharePlay, but my app is not Universal, because it is around 5 years old. The macOS and iOS versions have different bundle ids, and making a universal app would be a bag of hurt (loss of reviews, migrating data in sandboxed environments and lots more).

Am I correct that SharePlay will only work with a single bundle id? I was hoping by simply choosing the same activity type in each app they could connect, but I don't really see how it can given the activity type is hard coded, rather than configured in the Info.plist.

If this is the case, it seems like a lost opportunity, not only for "legacy" apps like ours, but also for anyone who might want to work between apps in an app group. Presumably rather than hard coding the activity type, it could have been registered as an Info.plist configuration or entitlement, allowing apps to partake with different bundle ids, the same way it works for iCloud for example.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of drewmccormack Down vote post of drewmccormack
1.3k views

Replies

If have the same question and I hope it is possible that apps with different bundle ids can join the same GroupActifity if the variable activityIdentifier is given the same value.

Can someone confirm this?

I have the exact same question, any updates so far?

Bing / ChatGPT was hallucinating and told me that it's possible with App Groups or a custom Info.plist key "NSGroupActivitiesIdentifier"

if I recall, this was a bug and Apple fixed it. We did ship this feature with different bundle ids. They do share a group id.

• Group ID here means by using App Groups?

• Yes. The apps need to be in the same app group.

Add a Comment