Is Quinn “The Eskimo!” actually a franchise?

I have long suspected that The Mighty Quinn may be somewhat more than human...
...but a recent post has led me to question everything I know.

@eskimo said:

I thought I’d write it down so that Future Quinn™ could point folks at it

This seems to be a recurring pattern.

Is Quinn “The Eskimo!” actually a franchise, like Dread Pirate Roberts?

Accepted Reply

Is Quinn “The Eskimo!” actually a franchise … ?

No.

Although you’re not the first person to have this suspicion. There’s been a few times when I’ve met folks face-to-face, at WWDC labs for example, and they were very surprised to learn that I was an individual and not some corporate construct (-:

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

• Hey Eskimo, I was writing a comment somewhere else and asked myself the same question (again). I just wanted to give you some kudos if you ever read this. You are a true hero. Thank you for all the hard work you've put in all these years.

Add a Comment

Replies

Is Quinn “The Eskimo!” actually a franchise … ?

No.

Although you’re not the first person to have this suspicion. There’s been a few times when I’ve met folks face-to-face, at WWDC labs for example, and they were very surprised to learn that I was an individual and not some corporate construct (-:

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

• Hey Eskimo, I was writing a comment somewhere else and asked myself the same question (again). I just wanted to give you some kudos if you ever read this. You are a true hero. Thank you for all the hard work you've put in all these years.

Add a Comment

Ha ha... of course, that's exactly what Corporate Construct Quinn™ would say!

I'll go along with it for now, but I will continue to gather evidence.

I'll be particularly looking for signs of UK Quinn™ (who I imagine has a hipster waxed moustache, and quietly hums a certain Manfred Mann song).

• Big conspiracy at work ? No, I hope you are just joking. Do you imagine what the forum would be without Quinn, eskimo or not ?

• Hi @Claude31. If you are familiar with Dread Pirate Roberts, then you will know that I may not be entirely serious (perhaps British humour is a bit too dry for the forum?). However, Apple would be a fool to ever let go of someone as knowledgeable as Quinn! Just saying!

• *chuckle*

To whoever collects evidence -

I admit to have met Quinn face-to-face SEVERAL times, in 4 or 5 different WWDC occasions, from about 1995 to (I'm not sure here) 2010. I also know his name from header files of the late OpenTransport technology and even the larger-scale "Power" set of communications/networking technologies that Apple brewed in the last 5 years of MacOS classic (7,8,9).

This means, I can remember his face, with no direct connection to any developer support incident. Rather a beer (or was it white-wine?) in one of the WWDC receptions in San Jose, CA.

I even owe him my life and happiness - as one of his indispensable comments in one of Apple's old header files, said "Don't do XXXXX or you will never have a happy life". Fortunately I read this note in time to see my code contained exactly XXXXX - so I found another way of doing what I needed, and my life was saved.

Add a Comment