Apple Developer App won't install on macOS Catalina

TL;DR Can earlier versions of the Apple Developer App be available to download from developer.apple.com?

I'm trying to install the Apple Developer App on a laptop running Catalina. The App Store says it can't be installed because the Developer App requires BigSur ("version 11.1 or later").

Yet my other laptop has an earlier version of this app installed on Catalina, which still works. (It does give me the same error when I act on its request to "upgrade to the latest version," but at least the installed version works).

As developers we often need to work under older versions of macOS to support our software that still runs on older versions of macOS and iOS. It would be helpful to have this tool on those older macOS installs.

Just as older versions of Xcode are available for download to registered developers, can these development tools be similarly available?

(I should note that these laptops also have Big Sur installed on separate startup volumes, but I find I'm still spending more time in Catalina to support our existing iOS apps.)

Thanks.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of SteveCaine Down vote post of SteveCaine
1.2k views

Replies

100% agree. I am limited to Catalina 10.15. I shouldn't have to purchase a new computer. I've already made huge concessions just to get to Catalina (32 bit apps), and even though I upgraded I continue to be punished.