RealityKit or ARKit? Which is right for me?

I want to create a feature where a user can stick images down my app onto their walls. I want to persist their placements between launches and use pinching a panning gestures to manipulate the images.

I see lots of articles going back a few years that show how to do this in ARKit, but going through WWDC videos I’m seeing a trend toward RealityKit, and am starting to think that’s the “right” thing to learn.

Is RealityKit to most up to date secret sauce? Is there a sample project like this one but using RealityKit?

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/arkit/environmental_analysis/placing_objects_and_handling_3d_interaction

Accepted Reply

Hello J0hn. To start off yes RealityKit is really up to date with this year’s release of MacOS Monterey with the new object capture API With 3d modeling rendering engines such as unity mars and Maxon cinema 4D there are many guides that can help you get started and it only takes a few lines of code. And RealityKit also takes advantage of the latest hardware like the LiDAR Scanner in iPad Pro as well.

• Hey thanks, that's really helpful. It been tricky figuring out the right "google-foo" to learning this stuff.

I'll stick with RealityKit. I'm actually not interested in the "capturing" aspects of RealityKit that seem to be really popular from last year. I'm mostly curious about the higher-level APIs for anchoring objects and coaching users through the AR setup.

Add a Comment

Replies

Hello J0hn. To start off yes RealityKit is really up to date with this year’s release of MacOS Monterey with the new object capture API With 3d modeling rendering engines such as unity mars and Maxon cinema 4D there are many guides that can help you get started and it only takes a few lines of code. And RealityKit also takes advantage of the latest hardware like the LiDAR Scanner in iPad Pro as well.

• Hey thanks, that's really helpful. It been tricky figuring out the right "google-foo" to learning this stuff.

I'll stick with RealityKit. I'm actually not interested in the "capturing" aspects of RealityKit that seem to be really popular from last year. I'm mostly curious about the higher-level APIs for anchoring objects and coaching users through the AR setup.

Add a Comment