Mixed in-app purchase business cases

I have reviewed the App Store Review Guidelines and have some questions around when In-App Purchases are required. Our app is primarily used by members of a gym to purchase memberships for in-person fitness classes, as well as to register for upcoming classes. Our website offers all functionality and content offered within the app.

As part a membership, users may gain access to digital content, such as nutrition plans or a selection of on-demand video content. This content is consumed outside of the app in the user's browser. And again, this content is secondary to the in-person classes. The guidelines state that physical services cannot use IAP, but it's not clear about cases when the user receives both physical and virtual services.

Similar to the above, some gyms offer a mix of video and in-person classes under the same membership. These are one-to-many classes, so 3.1.3(d) would apply, but because the membership grants access to a mix of physical and virtual services, I'm not sure how what is allowed.

Finally, in section 3.1.3 the guidelines state "Apps in this section cannot, within the app, encourage users to use a purchasing method other than in-app purchase." Does this mean in the case of selling physical services (3.1.3(e)) or person-to-person services (3.1.3(d)), we cannot direct the user to our website to complete their purchase?

Thanks!

• I realize that only the Apple team will know for sure. But I'm hoping someone can let me know if Apple has released any info about these sorts of cases. Thanks!

Add a Comment