How do I change to a copy-on-drag behavior (fileprovider)

When exposing mounted volumes on a network, the user expects drag&drop to default to copy (not move from local disk).

This UX is kind of standardized when connecting a thumb drive or usb ssd drive. So I find it confusing why we can't define in FileProvider the UTTypeVolume to ensure the user gets a more expected copy-on-drag behavior.

Please let me know if there are ways to achieve this that I've missed. i.e. I want both "drag to" & "drag from" a file provider volume to result in the green "+" (without having to teach the user to hold the alt-key)

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of jomentino Down vote post of jomentino
1.7k views

Replies

That is not possible today. Please do file a Feedback in Feedback Assistant detailing your enhancement request. Thanks!

Hi Clenart, I did file it in the feedback assistant. Hope to see a fix to it soon!

• What was your bug number?

Add a Comment

Hello, Any updates on this issue? Any new option added in the new macOS Ventura to copy instead of move a dragged file? Thank you.

any news on this?

any news on this?

Without a bug number it’s very hard for me to track down how this panned out )-:

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"