Unable to add entitlement

Hi, I have this error:

Provisioning profile "iOS Team Provisioning Profile: com.Mcrich23.Pickt" doesn't include the com.apple.runningboard.assertions.webkit entitlement

However, I can't add this entitlement because it pretty much does not exist. Any ideas?

• Have same issue, do you fix it?

Add a Comment

Accepted Reply

After lots of playing around with older entitlement files. I managed to fix it! I also downgraded to 13.2.1

• Would you mind sharing how you fixed it? Thanks.

• how do you fix it?

• @Mcrich23 could you explain what you did to fix it? Thanks!

Replies

would like to know this as well.

This is an Apple-only entitlement. I’m not sure why your project is trying to use it, but there is no way to do so.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

• A lot of people, myself included, have been recently having problems with running video and audio inside WKWebKit views. The common theme seems to be this kind of error:

Error acquiring assertion: Error Domain=RBSServiceErrorDomain Code=1 "(originator doesn't have entitlement com.apple.runningboard.assertions.webkit AND originator doesn't have entitlement com.apple.multitasking.systemappassertions)" UserInfo={NSLocalizedFailureReason=(originator doesn't have entitlement com.apple.runningboard.assertions.webkit AND originator doesn't have entitlement com.apple.multitasking.systemappassertions)}

While researching the issue, I came across this article that discusses what apparently is the culprit - "RunningBoard: a new subsystem in Catalina to detect errors". Maybe you could explain what's happening here.

Here is the link: https://eclecticlight.co/2019/11/07/runningboard-a-new-subsystem-in-catalina-to-detect-errors

• I also have same problem and post question, do you know that it can fix?

https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/725986

Add a Comment

RunningBoard has its origins on iOS [1] and was brought to the Mac as an implementation detail of Mac Catalyst [2]. It has neither a direct API nor any ‘user serviceable parts’ [3]

I’m not sure whether RunningBoard assertions are related to your WKWebView media problems — I’m not an expert on WebKit or the media subsystem — but I can guarantee you that you won’t be able to fix them via the com.apple.runningboard.assertions.webkit entitlement. That is, as I mentioned above, an Apple-only thing.

As to what you should do, my advice is that you start a new thread that describes the actual issue you’re having, tagging it appropriately in the hope of attracting attention from folks who are WebKit and media subsystem experts. If that doesn’t pan out, open a DTS tech support incident so that one of my colleagues can help you directly.

Share and Enjoy

[1] The internal name for the Home screen on iOS is SpringBoard, and over the years various ‘board’ subsystems have been split out into their own processes, RunningBoard being one of them.

[2] As to what it does, note that the article you referenced has misinterpreted the term assertion. To quote the runningboardd man page:

runningboardd is a daemon that manages process assertions to ensure those processes are kept in the appropriate state while assertions are in effect.

In this context an assertion is something that a process raises to tell the system about its state. For example, a UIApplication background task asserts that the app must not be suspended. Indeed, I use this terminology in my UIApplication Background Task Notes post. It would be reasonable to assume that RunningBoard forms the back end of that API when you call it from a Mac Catalyst app (although I must admit that I haven’t investigated whether that’s actually the case :-).

[3] To continue quoting that man page:

There are no options for runningboardd, and users should not run runningboardd manually.

• Thank you for your reply. The only reason that article piqued my interest was because it gave some meaning to at least one of the entitlements referenced by the error. Clearly, that entitlement is internal to iOS and cannot be added manually (I tried). I only wish that with so many people complaining, the issue would be proactively addressed or explained by Apple. Btw, there is still this other entitlement, com.apple.multitasking.systemappassertions, that I'd be interested to know more about.

Add a Comment

I only wish that with so many people complaining, the issue would be proactively addressed or explained by Apple.

If you want help with this, I recommend that you follow my advice from my previous post.

there is still this other entitlement, com.apple.multitasking.systemappassertions, that I'd be interested to know more about.

All I can say definitively here is that this another Apple-only entitlement. Looking at the name it’s seems likely that it’s related to the same assertion subsystem I described above but, given that is private, I can’t go into the details.

Share and Enjoy

After lots of playing around with older entitlement files. I managed to fix it! I also downgraded to 13.2.1

• Would you mind sharing how you fixed it? Thanks.

• how do you fix it?

• @Mcrich23 could you explain what you did to fix it? Thanks!

Yes, it would be super helpful and appreciated to hear how you solved this!

Goto MenuBar and find product

-> Goto Menu menu -> Scheme -> Edit Scheme -> It comes up with popup -> Select "Run" - -> Select "Arguments" -> Then Environment Variables -> after this click on "+" button set "OS_ACTIVITY_MODE = disable"

• You saved my life

• Thanks! Finally solve this issue

• This disables logging altogether, which isn't a great approach.

Having the app running in simulator I've connected to webView via a web inspector. May be that is related.