Metal 3 compatible with M1 Pro GPU?

I would like to know if the applications/games targeting the Metal 3 API will be fully compatible with the M1 Pro GPU. Thanks.

Replies

Hi adnanbaloch, Metal 3 has hardware support for all Apple silicon Mac models, including M1 Pro.

I also recommend checking out this session, which introduces Metal 3, and includes a full list of supported devices: Discover Metal 3 - WWDC22 - Videos - Apple Developer

Metal 3 will be available to all Apple silicon chips with Resident Evil: Village AAA game to take advantage of this new metal 3!

Hi, Apple says the following about Metal 3:

Metal 3 is supported on the following hardware: iPhone and iPad: Apple A13 Bionic or later Mac: Apple silicon (M1 or later), AMD Radeon Pro Vega series, AMD Radeon Pro 5000/6000 series, Intel Iris Plus Graphics series, Intel UHD Graphics 630. [1]

For the iPhones and iPads: All iPhone 11 models + SE second generation and later. iPad (9th gen), iPad Air (4th gen and later), iPad mini (only M1), iPad Pro (probably only those with M1 - if we are lucky A12X and A12Z too because they have more raw power than A13, but I would not bet on that).

When we look at the spec sheets of the Macs: all Apple Silcon Macs, Intel MacBook Pro 13", 15" and 16" (2017 and later), Intel MacBook Air (2019 and later), iMac (some 2019 models and later), MacPro (2019 and later), MacMini (2018 and later), iMac Pro (2017 and later).

This list matches perfectly with macOS Ventura (Except the MacBook 12" from 2017). Therefore, I would argue: When you can get Ventura, you get Metal 3. [2]

[1]: Apple Metal 3 Developer

[2]: macOS Ventura

This is confusing, since the Metal Feature Set table conveniently leaves A13 off the list of Metal 3 devices. So which is it? A13 has Tier2 argument buffers (indexing), but not barycentrics, RT or mesh shaders, etc.