Export full callstack/backtrace with `xctrace export`

Hello,

When exporting a time CPU profiling .trace with xctrace export --output foo.xml --input PATH/TO/TRACE/FILE.trace --xpath '/trace-toc/run[@number="1"]/data/table[@schema="time-sample"] , I am unable to reconstruct the full callstack/backtrace, despite the GUI doing so.

Sample row:

<row>
  <sample-time id="22" fmt="00:00.039.455">39...</sample-time>
  <thread ref="2"/>
  <process ref="4"/>
  <core ref="14"/>
  <thread-state ref="8"/>
  <weight ref="9"/>
  <backtrace id="23" fmt="test::test::foo ← (11 other frames)">
    <process ref="4"/>
    <text-addresses id="24" fmt="frag 1732">4331406713 4331406716</text-addresses>
    <process ref="4"/>
    <text-addresses id="25" fmt="frag 1733">4331403 ...</text-addresses>
  </backtrace>
</row>

As you can see the backtrace is cropped "(11 other frames)", but according to the backtrace documentation:

In extended views, the entire symbolicated backtrace is listed.

So how to export that extended view?

Alternatively, is it possible to symbolicate the backtrace using the text-addresses list? That question was asked a year ago without answer so far.

Best regards

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of Kraktus Down vote post of Kraktus
1.4k views

Replies

Hi there,

Thank you for the feedback. Would you be able to file a feedback report for Instruments and attach a number here? We will take a look.

Thanks,

Kacper

• Hello,

I'm not familiar with feedback assistance typical answer time, so apologies if this looks rushed, but I have filled a report here: https://feedbackassistant.apple.com/feedback/10445507 in case you haven't seen.

Regards,

• Any update on this? Would be great to figure this out so we can get decent flamegraphs from xctrace.

Add a Comment

Hello,

Thank you for your answer, I have filled a report: https://feedbackassistant.apple.com/feedback/10445507

Regards,

This is fixed in Xcode 14.3. Seems like you have to use "time-profile" instead of "time-sample"