Cannot add provisioning profile to any devices with Xcode

Hello. I have an iOS app written in Xamarin, but this issue is not related to Xamarin or Visual Studio. I am trying to deploy my xamarin app onto an iOS device, but I am unable to get the iOS device to install the provisioning profile via Xcode. I work at a company with a decent variety of test devices and the result seems to be the same from iPads to iPods to iPhones of various ages.

I have created a certificate and a provisioning profile. The certificate is associated with the provisioning profile on the developer portal. I have imported the certificate (including private keys) into my login keychain on MacOS. I have the .mobileprovision file downloaded to the machine. I am signed into Xcode with my apple developer account.

In Xcode, i went to Window > Devices and Simulators and selected my device. I right clicked my device and selected "Show Provisioning Profiles". I clicked the plus and chose my .mobileprovision file. I get the same error on every device:

Failed to install one or more provisioning profiles on the device.

Please ensure the provisioning profile is configured for this device. If not, please try to generate a new profile.|

this is an incredibly vague and unhelpful error. I'm not really sure what it means by "configured for this device". Not sure where to go from here

Accepted Reply

Hello, this was caused by the version of XCode being too old for the version of iOS. This caused XCode to be unable to apply the provisioning profile.

It is annoying that the current production version on the apple app store of XCode does not support the latest production version of iOS. Apple should make sure they match or at least show an error if it cannot provision a profile due to an unsupported version

• my xcode version 14.3!!!!!!

• For me too on 14.3

• me too, 14.3.1

Add a Comment

Replies

That error suggests that your device is simply not included in the profile. If you dump the profile’s device list, using the instructions in The where section of TN3125 Inside Code Signing: Provisioning Profiles, what do you see?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

• Thanks. I unpacked the profile as described in the article you linked. There is a list of device IDs in here, including the device I am trying to run my app on. The device identifier in XCode > Window > Devices and Emulators > IPad Mini 5 > Identifier matches the Identifier in the extracted plist file.

• Update: I even unpacked and decrypted the DER and made sure the device identifiers match the identifiers directly in the unpacked provisioning profile. They match. I don't think this is the issue

• Update 2: I created a new profile and am experiencing the same problem

Add a Comment

Given those results I’m out of ideas. I recommend that you seek formal support via Apple > Developer > Contact Us.

Share and Enjoy

Hello, this was caused by the version of XCode being too old for the version of iOS. This caused XCode to be unable to apply the provisioning profile.

It is annoying that the current production version on the apple app store of XCode does not support the latest production version of iOS. Apple should make sure they match or at least show an error if it cannot provision a profile due to an unsupported version

• my xcode version 14.3!!!!!!

• For me too on 14.3

• me too, 14.3.1

Add a Comment

Apple should make sure they match

And that’s exactly what we do. I’m not sure what’s going wrong in your particular case but the current released version of Xcode (13.4.1) supports the current released version of iOS (15.6). I just tested that setup here in my office and it works as expected.

Share and Enjoy

我们遇到了相同的问题。情况大致是这样:

设备类型:iPhone6s 系统版本:iOS13.6.1 xcode版本:Version 14.3 (14E222b)

我已经确认 development.mobileprovision 文件中包含这台iPhone6s的UDID,证书也没有过期,双击 development.mobileprovision 文件,提示如下错误:

• 退出xcode,双击 development.mobileprovision 解决了我的问题

• Xcode 14.3.1. iOS15.7.8 问题依旧存在

Add a Comment

Try this:

1. Quit Xcode
  2. Go to ~/Library/MobileDevice/Provisioning Profiles/
  3. Delete all provisioning profiles that are expired
  4. Move the new provisioning profile into the directory
  5. Launch Xcode