CarPlay Simulator not Working

I am trying to run my navigation app on a physical device, and want to view it using CarPlay Simulator (through XCode additional tools, NOT Hardware->Display->CarPlay), however, when I try to use the app, device has a Red dot next to it, and the simulator shows nothing.

What I've tried:

1. Running on a real CP device(my car): App works as intended, but want to run simulator so I can have live debugging
  2. Forgetting CP device and reconnecting
  3. All Steps of "Troubleshooting CP Simulator" (Updating to latest iOS, restarting phone, turn off hotspot, not connected to any other CP devices, ensure Firewall allows incoming connections)
  4. Tried both Xcode 13 CP sim and Xcode 14 beta CP sim
  5. Tried both work and personal laptops/phones

Ideas: I am running on a M1 laptop, which could be messing with something. I am also running my Xcode in Rosetta(app has packages that cannot compile without Rosetta), but I don't believe this should be a problem because I am running on a physical device not Xcode simulator.

Also can't run on Hardware->Display->CarPlay because of Application does not implement CarPlay template application lifecycle methods in its scene delegate and I can't figure out how to fix ("EXCLUDED_ARCHS[sdk=iphonesimulator*]"= "arm64" does not work)

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of bretthe Down vote post of bretthe
4.1k views

Replies

I have same problem too. Hope it fixes :(

I also have the same problem :(

Having the same issue.

Using a iPhone 12 Pro, with various different versions of additional tools.

Same issue

Make sure Personal Hotspot is turned off. After that open CarPlay Simulator > Devices > Tap the device name next to red dot. You will get an alert on the device for CarPlay.

The last part (tapping device name manually) is what did the trick for me.

• Surprisingly, this worked for me too. (can't confirm if it was the Personal Hotspot of the last part, but I got that alert on the device. Thank you, @Tanmay007!

• Personal HotSpot does the trick.

• It works for me too :) Thanks

Add a Comment

Experiencing the same issue. Have tried multiple phones, multiple versions of both XCode and the CarPlay Simulator and, of course, I've disabled Personal Hotspot etc. Have managed to get it to start successfully two times, and during those sessions, it has worked flawlessly. All other times I've tried (100+ by now), CarPlay starts to boot (e.g. default screen turning into black, and Device under Devices menu turns green) for about 3-5 seconds, and then returns to the default screen again.

Another thing to check for CarPlay Simulator is the MacOS Firewall . It is specified in some help that the CarPlay simulator must be enabled in it. By default incoming connections are disabled for all apps. You must add the CarPlay Simulator in the authorised apps.