Amazon apps interfere with CarPlay

If I’m listening to music or podcasts in my vehicle using CarPlay (whether through usb or Bluetooth) and I open an Amazon app (amazon.com, Alexa, etc), the sound coming from my speakers changes. I don’t know how to explain it…it has less bass and is quieter…almost like listening to a record player. The AC also turns down (like if I was on a phone call). This also happens whenever I pull into my driveway. It’ll change for like 30 seconds when I get close to my house then it’ll go back to normal. I figure that has something to do with being in close vicinity to my Alexa devices in my home? Has anyone else had this problem? I have a 2022 Chevy suburban and an iPhone 13 running iOS 15.6.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of Mamamarshall Down vote post of Mamamarshall
6.2k views
  • Hello, this is because Amazon has access to use your microphone. You will go to settings and scroll all the way down to Amazon, you will click on this. You will see an option for microphone if it is green you will click it to switch the toggle to grey to turn it off. This will fix your issues.

• I have the same issue, hoping there’s a resolution or explanation. Opening the amazing store app triggers it every time for me, though my Bluetooth starts randomly cutting out when I’m near wifi I’ve used and I wonder if that’s related too, it just started happening a few months ago.

• This is not a solution from what I can tell as the Amazon app shows no option for mic access, and privacy>microphone does not have Amazon nor Alexa listed.

Replies

Mine does it too, would love to know why.

Mine does it also. It has something to do with the geolocation for routines I have setup when I arrive home and at other places. I’ve played around with it and if I turn the geolocation routines off it goes away.

also if I have the Amazon store app open it does the same thing until I close the app like it thinks I’m trying to talk to Alexa. If I hit the Siri button on the car twice it makes the audio go back to normal also.

I’ll second all the above. My interference happens in two vehicles via CarPlay. Ram and Harley-Davidson. I have found that changing Alexa app location permissions to never, stops the conflict and intermittent audio disruptions. Basically disabling convenience for annoyance. Likewise, when it does happen, if I open the Alexa app, then force close immediately, if remedy's the issue.

Following.

Can anyone say if this has been forwarded to Alexa app developer Amazon?

Same here, please fix

I thought I had a cable issue. When I open the Amazon app it sounds like I loose all bass and midrange. Please fix

When I started the car, the wireless CarPlay connected it started playing Spotify but sounded weird like no bass or depth I restarted the radio and it went away but a when I was about 5 minutes away it broke up and sounded strange for a second.

Same issue as well. Only when using carplay with a Ford F150 and then opening amazon app. No other app does this to my audio

• I narrowed down the problem, it’s definitely tired to Alexa using my location not the microphone. If I turn on hunches then the issues starts happening basically if I have no home location set and no routines based on my location the audio is okay. When location is on I can open either amazon or the Alexa app swipe up then it goes away. Basically when I leave the area near my house 100 meters or so it lowers the audio like it’s trying to listen or something. Apple please fix this issue.

Add a Comment

I have this problem too. I have discovered that the change occuring is the fade of my audio settings in Sync 3.4 is being adjusted when the Amazon app is opened. My normal settings for Fade and Balance is to have the listening center placed just in front of the rear seat in the center. The fade setting is changed when Amazon app is moved to the front of the car, so the only speakers playing are the ones in the front dash. When the Amazon app is closed, the settings get set back to my preference. I can go into the audio settings and move the settings back to where I prefer them. But, closing the Amazon app or bring it back to the focus of my phone, puts the audio settings back to where the fade is only playing on the front two speakers.

I do not see audio settings in the Amazon section of Settings.