Is it possible to make Unity iOS App into iOS widget extension?

HELLO WORLD! I am currently developing an amazing Unity mini Game. The game development has come to the deploying stage. Using Unity allows me to deploy this game on MacOS, iOS, Android and Windows which is fantastic . However, I really need this game to have the iOS widget extension as a key feature on mobile. Just like the "Steve" dinosaur game which can be played in widget. I had seen a lot of tutorials and youtube videos but still cant find a solution which make Unity iOS app into a widget. If I really want to make widget Game on iOS, do I need to develop the whole game all over again in xcode or using GameKit? Really hoping there's a way to simply convert the Unity iOS app into a widget.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of JzJohnny021 Down vote post of JzJohnny021
1.7k views

Replies

What version of iOS are you targeting? The old style widgets you used to have in the Today View/Notification Centre aren't supported in iOS 16. They were small apps that could react to various changes, so tapping the widget might've changed some information that made Steve jump, or whatever.

New-style Home Screen widgets (that can also be placed in your Notification Centre) are not running apps; they are "glances at data". There is no real lifecycle running behind them. They simply take data from a provided timeline.

So, in essence, you cannot make a Unity game into a widget.

Any news on this? I ain't really want to play the game from the widget I just want to show the 3d character chillin' there. Is that possible? To retrieve the data from the app inside the widget and just show simple stuff?