XCode 14 compile errors immediately disappear or do not appear at all

I'm unable to use XCode 14 to develop my app because as soon as a compiler error is shown, it is immediately withdrawn from the Issue Navigator pane. This makes it impossible to see what is wrong. The errors are also immediately withdrawn from the editor.

This video shows 3 attempts to compile the project: after the first attempt no error shows, after the second attempt the error shows for a moment then is automatically removed (no mouse or keypress from me), after the third attempt same.

https://youtu.be/bmK_k6oLYpQ

I have tried rebooting, and deleting ~/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData, to no effect.

• Did you try to suppress the warning about iOS 9 which is no more supported. Set the deployment target to iOS 11 , then try again. You can also have some information in the build log.

• In my case project min level is iOS 12 so that's not it

• Facing same issue, Seems Apple not having UAT team at all for Xcode, Always full of bug

Replies

It seems you have set some filter on the alerts when compilation starts and you turn it off only after. Could you check that and turn the button off at start ?

• Does not make a difference.

• Does not make a difference.  Also experiencing this issue - the editor error linting is also not working.

Add a Comment

Also experiencing this issue - the editor error linting is also not working

Also experiencing this issue.

• Just to add a little more information if it might be helpful. I am using cocoapods and there is some flutter integration going on as well. Other than that I think it's a rather standard setup.

Add a Comment

Experiencing this exact same issue, which makes it impossible to develop on Xcode 14.

Tried everything: rebooting the device, deleting derived data, caches, even all personal settings, but no lucky at all.

Also tried Xcode 14.1 Beta and Xcode 14.0.1 RC.

Interesting enough, I have a smaller project which DOES NOT uses Cocoapods and this issue is not present when working on that project.

• I don't use cocoa pods and I have the same issue

• Still exist with me in Xcode 15 and yes it started with me in Xcode 14

Add a Comment

Apple, Is there a fix for this?

I've got the same problem. Error messages are only available in the Report Navigator (cmd + 9). Which is very uncomfortable to work with and features like "fix" or "fix all" don't work. Tried 14.0.0, 14.0.1 RC, 14.1 Beta 2+3.

Same here and I also noticed that if you don’t have the file that contains the error opened, the error is showed and you can select it in the issue navigator. But when you open the file, the error or the warning disappear immediately.

• Ah, you're totally right, same here

• But on my side, once opened, a few seconds later errors disappear again

• Exactly, same for me

Add a Comment

By creating a new project and painstakingly moving the files/settings over one by one from my old one too see where it fails I found out that when I have more than 5 Configurations it starts to fail. It's rather random but it might give apple devs some clue on how to fix it. My project is using cocoapods.

When I removed the configurations, XCode continued to fail so it's not easy to reproduce. I also created a fresh project with the podfile from my big project but that one didn't fail on more than 5 configurations.

Only thing I know is that this is a pretty serious error and makes programming with XCode a complete nightmare.

• Apple, are you assuming programmers love spending extra time fixing errors?

Add a Comment

Also facing this VERY annoying bug. Only tips I found is to go into the build log screen to find the actual error. On the left panel, select icon "Show Panel Panel Navigator" which is the right most icon. Then select the build which failed. That opens the build logs where the compiling errors are listed. A click on each error redirects to the culprit snippet. That's a tip, but very unhandy and would be glad to have a proper fix!

• Thanks for the tip

• Yes. I use this this one, but it takes forever to fix the errors.

Add a Comment

I also experience this problem. See it with XCode 14.0, XCode 14.0.1, and with XCode 14.1 beta 3

I also experience the same problem: it makes the workflow quite unpleasant. See it with XCode 14.0, XCode 14.0.1, and with XCode 14.1 beta 3

Please fix this.

Same problem.

Drastic measure (to make it at least somewhat usable): defaults write com.apple.dt.Xcode IDEIndexDisable -bool true

• You should explain the caveats of this and what it's doing if you're saying it's drastic, rather than just posting a command that a clueless dev will probably immediately try. It seems like it'll disable indexing?

Add a Comment

Same issue here

• Facing same issue, Seems Apple not having UAT team at all for Xcode Always full of bugs

• how to resolve the issue?

Add a Comment