airpods pro 2 and ipod nano 7th generation

This thread has been locked by a moderator.

The airpods pro 2 connect to the ipod nano 7th generation but there is no sound. I can start and stop playback by clicking the stems so the airpods are talking to the nano. I don’t expect all the features I would get on ios 16 but the ipod is a bluetooth device so the new airpods should be supported. they sound gteat on my iphone and ipad so they are not defective. airpods pro 1 work fine with the nano. hoping for a swift software fix.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of plooterman
4.4k views

Replies

These are the Developer Forums. Please direct your product support question to the Apple Support Forums.

I confirmed with Apple Support on 10/1/2022 that the BlueTooth versions on the AirPod Pro 2 and the iPod Nano 7th generation are incompatible. You can pair the devices, but you will not get any sound on the Nano. There is no way to upgrade BlueTooth 4.0 on the Nano to meet the requirements of the AirPod Pro 2. Hope this helps.

It’s so ridiculously stupid they don’t support the nano. I literally bought them to use with my nano. Some of us don’t want an iPhone! I hope they will add support to it some how. Some of us just want to use our AirPods with our nano! Is it too much to ask for?!

Had the exact same issue and settled with using the nano with Bose wireless headphones. I’m disappointed, it makes no sense that of the 2 premium products, the one made by Apple doesn’t work on the iPod.

All AirPods after the original model are a flavor of Bluetooth 5.x. Bluetooth 5.x is backwards compatible all the way to Bluetooth 4.0, which is what the Nano has. Just yesterday, I paired my 7th Gen Nano to AirPods Max, and they worked flawlessly.