error messages on XCUITest failures

In XCode 13, when an XCUITest failed I would get an error message in the editor that contained useful information and allowed me to navigate to the source of an error caused somewhere in the call hierarchy. Now it only - somewhat redundantly - lists the method name of the test?!

The only way I can investigate now, it seems, is to trawl through the rather verbose error log to eventually find useful information. That significantly extends the time it takes to spot errors.

On a related note: I had a helper method that would wait, check for the existence of an element and, if it does not appear, would try to tap() on the element. This would give me a list of identifiers that were not matched. By looking at these, I could easily spot where I had perhaps mistyped something in my test code or otherwise messed up the element selection.

Replies

Hello!

We would love to investigate if there is a bug here. If you see this issue reproduce, feel free to file a report on Feedback Assistant along with any relevant screenshots and reproducible steps:

https://feedbackassistant.apple.com/