Unlocking Level Lock with apple Watch or Phone

Hello everyone,

I purchased a level lock touch earlier this year. It’s a lock I have on my front door and side door. One of the ways it can be unlocked is with an NFC card. You can tap the card and the lock opens.

Since the apple devices have NFC, and so does the level lock touch, I figured there must be a way to just unlock the door by tapping my devices. I asked apple about this and they said they couldn’t help me. I reached out to Level and they said apple will be selling a new level lock + which on October 21st which does exactly what I’m wanting to do….for $329!

my question is, if both devices have NFC- couldn’t there just be some type of software update to allow this feature to happen. Instead- someone has to purchase a whole new lock!? I know it’s all about money but it just doesn’t make sense to me.

does anyone maybe know of a third party app that can read the level lock nfc card and allow me to open the lock by tapping my device? In the mean time I’ll keep looking for another way besides shelling out another 329 for a lock. Smh

Replies

I also bought the Touch earlier this year (February, so ~10 months ago), and was also hopeful that holding up phone to unlock would eventually be a firmware/software update enabled feature. From my internet searching, there's no indication Level intends to do this with the Touch. Instead they are pushing the Level +, which is basically the same as the Touch except with Apple HomeKey. Some folks online claim the + has a stronger radio than the Touch. I have been very disappointed with the unreliable performance of the touch to unlock feature in the Touch. It only works for me if I pull out my phone and open the Level app, and watch as the text indicator in the app goes from "touch to unlock not ready" to "touch to unlock ready". After that I can touch the lock and it will indeed unlock, but of course having to pull out your phone completely eliminates the the value of touch to unlock.

Some reddit folks have said they use NFC stickers and homekit automations to enable NFC to unlock behavior with the touch. I haven't done this myself, but would guess there's probably a noticeable delay, and it still requires you to unlock your phone for it to work. https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeKit/comments/lhoy4d/unlock_level_touch_lock_with_nfc_tag_shortcut/

The Level lock uses the wifi with your phone connection to unlock. Before the September update, I can walk to the door and it unlock without me taking out my phone. After the update, it stopped unlocking. I already sent Level Lock regarding stopped unlocking. I was doing it for me until the last update. It stopped.