Localization settings hidden if only 1 preffered language in iOS

I have added additional localizations into my iOS app. iOS is not available in those languages. So I did as it is suggested that you redirect customers to app settings view UIApplication.openSettingsURLString and there they can select another app language.

Unfortunately they do not see language selection if they do not have set at least 2 Preferred languages in General -> Languages & Region. Also it does not matter what languages they have there. If my app does not support those then it still shows all localizations available.

Is there somehow to force it? So it would be visible always? Since most people in my country have iPhones only in English but would like to use Apps in their native language.. Since they do not have 2 preferred languages they cant see the selection :(

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of RRosimannus Down vote post of RRosimannus
2.1k views

Replies

Could you submit a feedback report with a sysdiagnose and, ideally, your app and which locales you were expecting to make available? These details help track down what's working or not working.

I've spent so much time and effort localizing my game (Finished! by Friedemann Friese) and now it looks like many users will be contacting me for customer support. They can't see the language choices. I was about to add a custom language setting in-app, but Apple asks that we don't include a language choice within our apps. OR... they suggest that we replace that by opening a URL to the app system settings – which I just did and totally doesn't work because of this issue. Come on Apple – why would you hide the language setting? Does it cost more to show it or confuse users because they don't know what the language choices mean? :( https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=u2cfuj88

I created a feedback report for this issue, because we need the language selection too. https://feedbackassistant.apple.com/feedback/12113333

Can't open the feedback itself, but facing the same issue and upvoted your topic here. And we are also having complaints from customers. For them, when they have not added any preferred language is very hard to understand how to change the app language as it's not visible on app settings. For those who have added a preferred language, they most probably already have the app in the correct wanted language and if needed to change, then they have this option under app settings also. They can pick any language - even language that is not under selected system preferred languages. If Apple would show language selection ALWAYS under the app settings, then it would fix the problem.

I believe this problem arises when the language isn't installed on your iPhone or simulator. Therefore, whenever you switch to a different language, ensure that you download all the supported languages on your device or simulator. This way, you'll be able to see the preferred language option, along with the list of languages supported by your app.

• Thank you, that was the issue for me. I was wondering, why it didn't show the localizations I recently added to my Xcode project, but installing the language solved it.

Add a Comment

In order to make language setting always appear add UIPrefersShowingLanguageSettings with value Yes to info.plist