iPhone GPS or Location Update Rate?

Hi,

I am trying to find out the GPS/Location update rate that the iPhone14 can accomplish. Most GPS update rates are 1hz (1 location update per second). I am hoping that the newest iPhones can provide a faster update rate.

Also I would like to know the accuracy of the GPS. It is 100meter, 50meter, 10meter, 3meter?

Where could I find this information?

Thanks,

Adam

Replies

Following this discussion, strange this is not documented anywhere.

Just to manage expectations: Apple often tends to not document such details. And of course they are free to change such implementation details across OS releases or under different operating conditions. The public API gives an app what it needs at the moment: each location result has an associated accuracy, and your app can measure their rate.

If your app can’t function properly with insufficiently accurate or insufficiently frequent updates, then it’s best to degrade gracefully at run time based on the actual behavior, rather than trying to “pre flight” it based on assumptions made during development.

I am hoping that the newest iPhones can provide a faster update rate.

And who knows, maybe the next iPhone will trade off for power efficiency and give you a slower update rate. (Back to managing expectations.)

Something to be aware of is that external GPS devices, connected using Bluetooth, can sometimes supply fixes faster than one per second.

Beware, this can reveal bugs in your app!

Great question, and good surrounding discussion!

Scott is correct that the Core Location API does not commit to a particular update rate. If you have a particular use case that requires a particular update rate, please share your input through Feedback Assistant for consideration.

To your other question: location accuracy will vary a lot by use case, but the Core Location API provides an estimate of horizontal error in the CLLocation object in the horizontalAccuracy field. For reference, please see:

CLLocation horizontalAccuracy