SMS filtering extensions turning off after app update on 16.3?

We have an app that uses SMS filtering as its core feature, but have been seeing accelerated reports of our extension getting automatically disabled after users update our app. After doing some testing, it seems that installing an upgrade version on iOS 16.3 the system changes the user's SMS blocking from our app to None when an update occurs.

I've tested on a device that is still on 16.0, and that device doesn't exhibit the same behavior. Has anyone else seen this? I've filed a radar (FB11977092) but I'm wondering if anyone else has seen the same behavior with their message filtering apps? We usually release an update or two per month, so this is pretty detrimental to the business if we have to instruct users to re-enable our blocking for even the smallest bug fix update.

Replies

We've done some further testing and 16.2 also had this issue. Our 16.1 and 16.0 devices left the selection alone after upgrades, as expected.

SMS Filtering will be turn-off again after the app is updated, so we won't have a version update in the near future if more people don't run into this issue. Can the next version fix it?

I've been facing this issue from iOS 16.2 and can see that it's not reproducible on iOS 16.4. Can anyone else confirm this?

I tested it on iOS 16.4 and 16.4.1 devices and this plugin didn't work for me. Anyone else having the same problem?