Strong Password Autofill not allow custom password

Hi, we are facing on a strange behaviour since iOS 16.

In a registration view, we have two text field to insert password (password textfield and confirm password text field).

Suggest strong password is abilitate (from iCloud... password & keychain).

When user tap on password text field, can choose between strong password or text custom password. If user choose custom password, can text his own password as usually. But when he tap the second text field (confirm password) Apple fill in automatic both text field, cleaning the first text field... So user entry in a loop where he text password and when go next, previous textfield be cleaned and both text field filled with a new suggestion.

Searching on the web we don't find any solution to it. Also because we try just to set text fields as .password or .newPassword. But this behaviour is always the same.

Maybe is it a bug of iOS 16? How we can allow user to chose a custom password if the system fill always in automatic the password text fields, every time he tap on them?

• +1 - Having the same issue.

In addition, when using 'Use strong password' option the text field does not get filled at all. Setting clearsOnBeginEditing to true does not solve the issue as suggested in some answers available in net. I'm thankful if anyone can suggest a solution..

• Hi Sofia, have you had any successes in resolving this since posting? My team has interest in resolving this same issue.

• Is there any update on this issue, I also have this problem.

Replies

I solved this by setting only the first text field's textContentType field to .newPassword. I set the second text field's textContentType field to just .password. iOS autofill is smart enough to suggest and pre-populate the strong password for both secure text fields, but if choosing your own password, selecting the second text field doesn't force the strong password suggestion twice, causing the loop. Hope this helps!

@jggleason this solution does not work for me