How do I sign and export a macOS app? Xcode says it can't communicate with Apple

I'm trying to sign and export my macOS app. I do:

Archive Distribute App Developer ID -> Export -> Automatically Manage Signing -> FAIL

Communication with Apple failed You are not allowed to perform this operation. Please check with one of your Team Admins, or, if you need further assistance, please contact Apple Developer Program Support. https://developer.apple.com/support

No profiles for '' were found Xcode couldn't find any Developer ID provisioning profiles matching ''.

It should create those for me.

I tried to create them via the website, but that ends up making me create a certificate (although it is not clear what kind of certificate). So I do my best to choose the right kind, and then it still doesn't create a profile. I try again, and it says there's no certificate available, so it prompts me to do that again.

WHY IS THIS STUFF STILL SO HARD TO DO?

Replies

There was a major outage with Apple services yesterday. Please try again.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Still fails, unfortunately.

Bummer.

This must be something specific to your setup because more widespread problems tend to set off alarm bells. To start, let’s see if this a general issue or one specific to your project. If you create a new project from one of the built-in templates, then do a Product > Archive, then try to export from the organiser, does that work?

Share and Enjoy

I created a brand new Multiplatform project. Built and ran it for macOS, then Archived it. Tried same steps as above to export it: Archive, Distribute App: Developer ID -> Export -> Automatically Manage Signing -> FAIL

I get the same failure:

Communication with Apple failed You are not allowed to perform this operation. Please check with one of your Team Admins, or, if you need further assistance, please contact Apple Developer Program Support. https://developer.apple.com/support

No signing certificate "Developer ID Application" found No "Developer ID Application" signing certificate matching team ID "" with a private key was found.

Is this an Individual team? Or an Organization one?

Share and Enjoy

Confusingly, Xcode shows both a "Personal Team" and a team for my LLC. I always use the LLC, and I have only one login in the developer portal/app store connect. Both of these attempts were using my LLC team.

Personal Team is Xcode parlance for the free provisioning we allow with any Apple ID. You can ignore it in the context.

Your LLC team is presumably an Organization team. Please check that before you continue because the following won’t make sense otherwise. To check:

1. Go to this page.

2. Make sure you have the correct team selected at the top right.

3. Scroll down and look for the “Enrolled as” field. It should be Individual, Organization, or Enterprise.

Per our Developer > Program Roles page, creating Developer ID certificates can only be done by the Account Holder. Are you sure you’re that? Check this in the Users and Access section of App Store Connect.

Share and Enjoy

Ah, sorry I wasn't clear before. Yes, the LLC is an Organization, and I am the account holder (I created this account), as shown in the Membership Details:

Go to the Certificates page. How many Developer ID Application certificates do you have listed there?

Share and Enjoy

I don't have any, despite trying to create them manually on the portal or implicitly via Xcode.

OK.

The fact that you can’t create a Developer ID certificate via the Developer website suggests that something is fundamentally borked with your account (and hence why Xcode is having problems). I don’t have visibility into that side of things. You’ll have to discuss this with Developer Program Support. Reach out to them via the Apple > Developer > Contact Us page.

On the plus side you now have a much simpler problem statement: You’re unable to create Developer ID certificates via the Developer website. That cuts Xcode out of the equation, which will help provide focus to your DevPrograms support request.

Share and Enjoy