Re-signing older ipa for AdHoc distribution

My company produces custom iOS applications for other businesses. One of our applications is still using iOS SDK 12 and is built using Xcode 10.3.

Our normal method for distributing this app is to send clients an IPA that they re-sign with their Enterprise provisioning profile and host on their MDM for internal consumption.

One client recently lost access to their Enterprise account. They need to use this app right away with less than 100 users in their team. I've generated a provisioning profile with all the UDIDs that they intend to have.

I've locally re-signed the ipa on the command line with the provisioning profile, and the output of ipa info myapp.ipa shows me the correct cert, and the list of UDIDs from the profile.

However, when I drag the IPA to an iPad that is on that list of UDIDs, I get the dreaded "app integrity cannot be verified" error when I try to run it.

Is there any tool that can help me troubleshoot?

Replies

I've solved the original problem now by choosing the certificate that says "for use with xcode 13 and newer" in the profile. Now, I'm finding that in order to install the app, iOS wants to have developer mode enabled. Is there a way around this?

One way to avoid this problem is to not store .ipa files instead Xcode archives. If you do that then you can easily export a re-signed app using the Xcode organiser. This is a lot easier than the unpack, manually re-sign, and then repack process required with .ipa files.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"