notarytool submit occasionally fails with Error: MultipartUploadError(error: HTTPClientError.readTimeout

We submit for notarization using:

/usr/bin/xcrun notarytool submit '/tmp/notarytool_our_app.zip' --keychain-profile notarytool-TEAMID --wait --output-format plist --timeout 2h --keychain /Users/admin/teamid.keychain

Occasionally it fails with this error: Error: MultipartUploadError(error: HTTPClientError.readTimeout, completedParts: [SotoS3.S3.CompletedPart(eTag: Optional(""f838a70fa4e9b4bf1a0c075eb931fcb8""), partNumber: Optional(1)), SotoS3.S3.CompletedPart(eTag: Optional(""7aa16c155f47b9d0704d99bc9a59db4c""), partNumber: Optional(2))])

What can be the reason for this? Upload size is 700-800MB. Seems to be som e upload issue to AWS S3 storage.

Thanks

Replies

Occasionally it fails with this error

Define “occasionally”. If you do 100 uploads, how many of them fail in this way?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

I'm seeing this error 100% of the time since yesterday (9:05PM Eastern Daylight time March 6).

I’ve not seen similar reports from other, and there’s nothing on our Developer > System Status page. I suspect that this is specific to your environment. Are you able to do a test notarisation from some alternative environment? For example, if you notarise from work are you able to try it from home, or vice versa?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Whatever was causing this seems to be fixed starting about or before 11:40 PM March 2023. I've had several successful runs since then.

Quinn, We did test with uploads of 100 times 25MB, the result was that the first run 0/100 failed, the second round 1/100 failed. In production builds we are doing notarization uploads of 25, 40, 120, 700 MB and this is repeated 2 times, so in total 8 uploads for notarisation. In this case it seems that during working hours in CET the probability of failure with the above error is more that 50%, but if made out side working hours it will in most cases succeed.