Forum editor bug since last maintenance

Since the maintenance 2 days ago, it seems editor has issues. Is it only me ?

> Marking a text as quote does nothing. I mark this sentence as Quote to illustrate.

Accepted Reply

> Is it only me?

It’t not just you. I’ve reported this internally (r. 106766933).

And it’s not just quoting that’s gone wrong either. The bug seems to affect any use of the greater than sign. And there are other problems with stuff being munged even when it’s quoted.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

• Thanks. Sometimes, the forum software is like reggae: one step forward, 2 steps backward… 😉

• Well I'm happy to have you a dance partner (-:

Add a Comment

Replies

> Is it only me?

It’t not just you. I’ve reported this internally (r. 106766933).

And it’s not just quoting that’s gone wrong either. The bug seems to affect any use of the greater than sign. And there are other problems with stuff being munged even when it’s quoted.

Share and Enjoy

• Thanks. Sometimes, the forum software is like reggae: one step forward, 2 steps backward… 😉

• Well I'm happy to have you a dance partner (-:

Add a Comment

I’ve reported this internally

We’re making progress here. Quotes now work again, as shown by the above.

There are, however, some lingering issues with DevForums interpreting some HTML delimiters inside code style. The worst of these relates to the inline code style. For example, a >= 0 &amp;&amp; a &lt; 42 is rendered all wrong. You can work around this by not using code style, like so: a >= 0 && a < 42.

I’m still trying to get this fixed properly.

Share and Enjoy

• I was going to make a new post about this, but fortunately I found this thread. It seems that the less-than sign is still not fixed, but I think you know that :) Maybe this happens within some kind of cross site scripting protection? Just a guess...

Add a Comment

Quotes now work again,

Indeed!

Somehow, it is comforting to see we are not the only ones to introduce regression bugs in our code… 😉

• "Comforting" isn't the word I'd use (-:

Add a Comment

Hello,

Just want to add that forward slashes are also affected by this (they look HTML encoded), in case this wasn't known already.

• / is transformed into &#x2f; when placed inside inline code
  • here's an example: &#x2F;

Interestingly, the email notification for watchers rendered slashes for the preceding reply. But it also transformed the HTML entity example in the first bullet point, which doesn’t seem correct:

That's interesting! Perhaps the email system doesn't use the same method to replace certain characters with HTML entities.

I guess that shouldn't be a concern from a security point of view, unless tags like <b>these</b> do anything to the email (they obviously shouldn't).

There’s obvious, and then there’s actual...

• Oh... Well, that definitely shouldn't have happened.

Add a Comment

AFAICT this bug (r. 106766933) is fully fixed as of yesterday (2 Jun 2023). If you’re still see problems, please reply back here with the details.

Share and Enjoy

That’s <b>great</b> news!

Add a Comment

Hello, sorry for sending a message here. I would like to <b>test<b> something :)

No worries. And while we’re here, there’s something I’d like to test as well…

This is code style: <span>foo&amp;bar</span>.

And this is a code block:

<div>
    foo&amp;bar
</span>
// these sorts of comments don't make sense in HTML

Share and Enjoy

Interesting! The "HTML comment" did not appear in the thread watcher mail (maybe this is expected?). And, as you probably noticed, the incorrect, non-html comment is syntax highlighted on the website.

I'll send this again since I realized I forgot <b> to add the forward slash </b> in the HTML tags I tested above. I'm also wondering how &amp; and &#x3C;&#x62;&#x3E; get rendered in emails. &#x3C;&#x2F;&#x62;&#x3E;