Confused about expiring certificates

Hi all,

I got the email saying my certificate(s) will be expiring in 30 days.

I can view my certificates (distribution, distribution managed, and 2x developments) on my account page.

• The distribution expires in 30 days (4/20/2023)
  • The distribution managed expires in 6 months
  • Development #1 (under my name) expires in 30 days (4/20/2023)
  • Development #2 (also under my name) expires in 2 months (5/26/2023)

However, I don't see any way to renew them.

I have read other posts that talk about 'edit' or 'generate' buttons, but I don't see that and I presume those posts are just out of date.

When I look in my xcode project, I see that I am using 'automatically manage singing'.

Xcode also shows that a provisioning profile is expiring in 2 months. I presume that is something different? It has the same expiration date as my development #2 certificate (5/26/2023).

It's also unclear what is going to happen when these certificates expire.

I read that devices running builds with the expired distribution cert will stop working.

Is that just for internal builds downloaded from something like Test Flight?

Will live builds, downloaded by actual players from the AppStore, stop working if I don't push a release with a new cert in the next month?

I am the one that set this all up and 'maintains' it, but I don't engage with it often enough to remember the bits and bobs.

My apologies for all the newbie questions.

Thank you for your assistance

Accepted Reply

Those messages are always a bit of stress.

That is only a reminder that applies the next time you update the app with a new version, so not an issue and do not require any action. So normally, nothing to do: they will renew automatically when you sign an app or you will just request a new one in Xcode.

See more details here:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/10759973/proper-way-to-renew-distribution-certificate-for-ios

• Thank you for that information. I really appreciate. I read many of your other replies and answers about this topic in other threads as I was researching. You seem to be the guru on this subject matter. Cheers to you for continuing to help us all out

Add a Comment

Replies

Those messages are always a bit of stress.

That is only a reminder that applies the next time you update the app with a new version, so not an issue and do not require any action. So normally, nothing to do: they will renew automatically when you sign an app or you will just request a new one in Xcode.

See more details here:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/10759973/proper-way-to-renew-distribution-certificate-for-ios

• Thank you for that information. I really appreciate. I read many of your other replies and answers about this topic in other threads as I was researching. You seem to be the guru on this subject matter. Cheers to you for continuing to help us all out

Add a Comment