Which version of Xcode works best with macOS 12 (Monterey)?

I am currently using Xcode 14.2 (14C18), but it has some glitches (which I don't want to enumerate here).

I now want to revert back to an earlier older version. Any suggestions?

Accepted Reply

Problem is that 14.3 will not install on Monterey.

I used 13.4.1 a lot, did not notice specific problem. But I did not have real issues with 14.2.

Could you describe some of the problems you get ?

Replies

Problem is that 14.3 will not install on Monterey.

I used 13.4.1 a lot, did not notice specific problem. But I did not have real issues with 14.2.

Could you describe some of the problems you get ?

I am not sure if the problems are only specific to me, but I did not experience similar ones for the past many years.

1. The Quick Help pane always stops displaying help after some time of use (for example, after debugging).
  2. I get weird auto layout design time issues in IB (I am sure my constraints are correct).
  3. Today I got a weird error when I build one of my test project (something about Array Controller but not in my code). When I close and re-open and build, the problem is gone.

I have a test project. The main.storyboard has several VC scenes. One scene has 3 NSTableViews in a row and auto layout works perfectly when I run the app. The weird thing is that each time I open the project, the top spacing constraint grows a little (56). I do not modify anything. After several times of re-opening, the value reverts to the standard value.

Just be aware that if you publish on the App Store, reverting beyond Xcode 14.1 is going to be a problem sooner rather than later:

Please note, starting April 2023, all iOS and iPadOS apps submitted to the App Store must be built with Xcode 14.1 and the iOS 16.1 SDK.

• I can develop with Xcode 13 and when it's ready I build with the latest Xcode.

Add a Comment