Xcode 14.2+: lldb-rpc-server has crashed.

I don't know when this started but it's basically brought my development to a standstill. I know it worked fine in macOS 13.2.1, though I didn't try Xcode 14.3 RC 2 in 13.2.1.

Basically, Xcode 14.3 RC 2 (14E222b) and also Xcode 14.2 (14C18) (which had been stable up till now) are both unable to launch the app in debug mode. As soon as the launched/debugged app finally starts, the following is printed to Xcode's console:

Message from debugger: The LLDB RPC server has crashed. You may need to manually terminate your process. The crash log is located in ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports and has a prefix 'lldb-rpc-server'. Please file a bug and attach the most recent crash log.

The crash log is always the same. The full log is at https://gist.github.com/NSGod/5e194900bd6f5a9ac9328b936a26037e.

There seems to be an infinite loop in thread 6:

Thread 6 Crashed:: <lldb.process.internal-state(pid=30877)>
0   LLDB  0x12030cfb4 ParseTrieEntries(....) + 20
1   LLDB  0x12030d653 ParseTrieEntries(....) + 1715 

After I initially encountered this issue in Xcode 14.3 RC 2 (14E222b) with my business project, I tried creating a new Cocoa app using Xibs and Objective-C and still encountered the problem in that project. I've cleaned out the build folders, etc. but that made no difference. I opened both my business project and a new project in Xcode 14.2 (14C18) but saw no difference (it still crashes). I also tried in a new user account using both versions of Xcode but they both crash.

Could having Python 3.10 and 3.11 installed through MacPorts anything to do with it (I noticed Python 3.9 in the binary images, but I'm not sure).

Any ideas?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of NSGod Down vote post of NSGod
3.1k views
  • Same problem for me: "ParseTrieEntries(...)" called several hundreds of times in call stack. Any updates?

• Well, I'm writing this message in a fresh install of Ventura 13.3 and Xcode 14.3 and I have the exact same problem: it still crashes.

I wonder if it has anything to do with my using OpenCore Legacy Patcher to get Ventura to install on my Mid-2014 MacBook Pro? The only other changes I made to the base install was I customized some of my date formats. This is crazy...

• Actually I'm extacly in the same case: MacBook Pro mid-2014 (MacBook Pro 11,3) running Ventura 13.3 through OCLP 0.6.2... Hope a future release will fix that... The only workaround I've found is to disable "Debug executable" in the target scheme, to get the debug output anyway (even if I can't pause on breakpoints...). I posted the issue on the OCLP MacRumors forum: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macos-13-ventura-on-unsupported-macs-thread.2346881/post-32072769

Replies

Can confirm this is still an issue with macOS 13.4 in the MacBook Pro 11,3 (OCLP 0.6.6)

I had an issue with Xcode 15.0 beta 5 (15A5209g) where I received the blocking error The LLDB RPC server has crashed.. I was unable to run the Playground nor proceed.

My project is a Swift Package & Playground and I found that removing the folder.swiftpm made the error go away. That directory has a folder structure that looks like Breakpoint XMLs. It's possible this was corrupted and causing the blocking error. Most of my research mentioned breakpoints were the problem.

Hoping this helps someone in the future.

This is still en issue with Mac OS 14.0 and Xcode 15.0, running an application to my iPad (iOS 17.0.20). I have to restart both Mac and iPad to solve the problem!