Quicktime Interactivity?

Is it still possible to tutor a QuickTime movie with hyperlinks? I'm building a website and I know at one point you could author a QuickTime movie that supported links inside the video - either to other timestamps in the video or to other web pages.

I don't want to use a custom player, I'd prefer to use the system level. I've seen a really amazing example of this on the mobile version of the memory alpha (Star Trek nerds!) website. There is a movie that plays at the top of pages that is fully interactive.

Is that still supported? Is it possible to author that way? I'm not making anything insanely complicate, I just thought it would be a nice way to build a website with tools I'm more comfortable working in.

Replies

That part of the QuickTime format has been deprecated, and doesn't work anymore with modern QuickTime (version 10 and later). Actually browser plug-ins have been deprecated and removed too. The good news is that HTML and javascript have all the tools needed to created such thing nowadays.