Notarising applet: "Error: No Keychain password item found for profile: <>"

I am trying to submit my AppleScript applet for notarization. My applet is code signed using my developer id. I have stored an app-specific password in my logins keychain with the correct name and account. My developer id is not connected with multiple teams.

I tried this on the command line:

xcrun notarytool submit "&#x2F;Users&#x2F;[home]&#x2F;Desktop&#x2F;[applet].zip" --keychain-profile "[name]" --wait

The response, very quickly, was:

"Error: No Keychain password item found for profile: [name]".

Is something else needed to enable notarytool to find the Keychain login item ?

Thanks.

Replies

Standard practice here is to first run notarytool with the store-credentials subcommand to create the keychain profile and then reference that profile with --keychain-profile. So, something like this:

% xcrun notarytool store-credentials

This process stores your credentials securely in the Keychain. You reference these credentials later using a profile name.

Profile name:
MyProfileName
…
^C
% xcrun xcrun notarytool submit --keychain-profile MyProfileName … other arguments …

where MyProfileName is a profile name that I chose.

Did you do that first step? When you did that, what profile name did you enter?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Quinn, thanks. I've solved the problem. Eventually, I was able to get my applet notarized, in particular, by adding a new Keychain password profile with:

xcrun notarytool store-credentials --apple-id "[appleid]" --team-id "[team name]"

That was a duplicate with a new name but, at least notarytool did find it. Interesting that it's not visible in the Keychain Access app. I don't know what I would do if I forgot its details.

Even then I couldn't get stapling to work. That was caused by a foul-up with the updates to Xcode 14.3 and the related Command Line Tools. Xcode could not link to the CLTs as shown in attached capture – although Xcode 14.3 is selected in the drop down, Xcode still says "No Xcode Selected":

I had to switch to an Admin user account and do a reset: " sudo xcode-select -r".

That solve all my problems. In fact, I was able to return to using SD Notary, which is a much easier method. I give thanks to discussions @ StackOverflow and NotarizeApp which had code that made things clearer.

Cheers.

It should be visible in Keychain Access. One thing to note is that, by default, it’s stored in the data protection keychain, so you’ll find it under iCloud Keychain (or Local Items, if that’s not enabled).

If you’re not familiar with these terms, check out TN3137 On Mac keychain APIs and implementations.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

• Thanks. I still can't see that item anywhere in Keychain Access. Nonetheless, notarytool can see it which is the main thing.

Visibility is perhaps complicated by my arrangement: I am signed into an AppleID different to that used for my developer account. It actually makes life easier for me but might complicate some things.

Cheers.

Add a Comment