Disclosure triangle missing from "HTTP Traffic" instrument

After recording a network request using the "HTTP Traffic" instrument, I don't see the disclosure triangle documented here.

I'd expect to see something similar to this screenshot:

Instead, my document's top-level track is missing the disclosure triangle:

I'm launching Instruments from Xcode using a debug configuration with a development certificate. I'm using an instance of URLSession directly (no third-party libraries) and am creating a URLSessionDataTask to send the request.

Is this a bug in Instruments? Or am I doing something dumb?

Versions

• Instruments Version 14.3 (14E222b)
  • iOS Version 16.3.1 (20D67)
  • macOS Version 13.2.1 (22D68)

Accepted Reply

Hi there,

this is certainly unexpected. I can see in your screenshot that there is a task displayed in the list in the detail view and as such we should also see a track for the process track and the associated session.

Could you file a feedback and attach the trace file? If you can reliably reproduce this attaching an example project that reproduces this with steps to reproduce would be highly appreciated as well. But based on the screenshot even just having the trace file should help us in figuring out what is going on there.

Note that the trace file will contain all request and response details of the HTTP requests you recorded (but only of the targeted app, e.g. "FakeClient" in the screenshot), including bodies and headers and any authentication tokeans or other potentially sensitive information, so use your own judgement whether you can share this data. It looks like this is just a test request, but you know best what data may be contained in there.

You can also take a look at the "Document Inspector" (Main Menu -> Document -> Inspector) to take a closer look at what data is contained in the document before attaching it.

• Ok thanks for the reply, feedback submitted w/ trace and example project.

Add a Comment

Replies

Hi there,

this is certainly unexpected. I can see in your screenshot that there is a task displayed in the list in the detail view and as such we should also see a track for the process track and the associated session.

Could you file a feedback and attach the trace file? If you can reliably reproduce this attaching an example project that reproduces this with steps to reproduce would be highly appreciated as well. But based on the screenshot even just having the trace file should help us in figuring out what is going on there.

Note that the trace file will contain all request and response details of the HTTP requests you recorded (but only of the targeted app, e.g. "FakeClient" in the screenshot), including bodies and headers and any authentication tokeans or other potentially sensitive information, so use your own judgement whether you can share this data. It looks like this is just a test request, but you know best what data may be contained in there.

You can also take a look at the "Document Inspector" (Main Menu -> Document -> Inspector) to take a closer look at what data is contained in the document before attaching it.

• Ok thanks for the reply, feedback submitted w/ trace and example project.

Add a Comment