Transferring an App

Hello, this is a little convoluted situation and I am new to apple development.

We are a start up and are creating an app. I have a personal apple developer account and our company has not yet created apple developer business account (still lagging a little bit behind on branding and website).

Our app is ready for beta testing. Our plan was to use my personal account to distribute the app and use test flight to test it out and then either transfer the app or upload a new version of it through the business account.

My questions are;

1. Can I use personal account to distribute the app for beta internal testing but finally get it reviewed and publish using business account?
  2. If we cannot achieve # 1, once the app goes live, can I immediately transfer it to our company's business account? Is that process fairly simple and straight forward.

Really appreciate any inputs.

Thanks

Replies

Can I use personal account to distribute the app for beta internal testing but finally get it reviewed and publish using business account?

Probably. The only issues I can see are with the bundle ID and app name; when you come to create the App Store record for the business version of the app, it will need to have a different bundle ID, and possibly a different name. Changing the bundle ID is not a problem, it just means that the beta testers will need to delete the old version rather than having it automatically replaced by the App Store version. Not a problem if the testers are a handful of people within the business, but maybe a problem if it's a wide public beta. The rules about name collisions have changed over the years; I think you will be OK if the test version has never been released on the App Store, but to be safe you might want to use a different temporary name.

The other thing you can do is initiate an app transfer from your individual team to the company team.

IMPORTANT App transfers come with their own set of caveats. See App Store Connect Help > App transfer overview.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"