Is it necessary to have Supervised device to use blockedAppBundleIDs parameter in MDM - Restrictions Payload?

Is it necessary to have Supervised device to use blockedAppBundleIDs parameter in MDM - Restrictions Payload? Documentation says device can be made Supervised only through DEP, and DEP or ABM is mainly for organizations or schools not for individuals, I'm developing an application related to parent control where I might have to use blockedAppBundleIDs in the restrictions payload, but it requires supervised device. Is there any way we can do DEP through OTA for individual, old devices ? Any suggestion here ?

Replies

Installing a configuration profile that specifies blockedAppBundleIDs requires a supervised device. Supervision is meant for organizations, not individuals.

I think you have an easier way to solve your problem. The Screen Time API allows a parental controls app to block which apps may launch, and that does not require a supervised device. See the WWDC21 session "Meet the Screen Time API". https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2021/10123/?time=764

• Thanks for your response, My application needs to be supported from iOS 11-12 onwards, so ScreenTime API may not be the choice for me right? is the supervision strictly meant for organizations or is there any way we can get an exception from Apple? provided we give the necessary justification? Also, I read that MDM & Screen Time cannot co-exist in the application, is that right?

• Hi @ddeepakrao,

Supervision gives schools and businesses greater control over the devices that they own. This was not intended for personal devices and we don't offer exceptions. As mentioned by @Mobile_Graybeard, the Screen Time API is your best option, although available starting from iOS 14.

Add a Comment