Catalyst & Audio Units: getting plugin dimensions right

I'm experimenting with getting my AUv3 plugins working correctly on iOS and MacOS using Catalyst.

I'm having trouble getting the plugin windows to look right in Logic Pro X on MacOS.

• My plugin is designed to look right in Garageband's minimal 'letterbox' layout (1024x335, or ~1:3 aspect ratio)
  • I have implemented supportedViewConfigurations to help the host choose the best display dimensions

On iOS this works, although Logic Pro iPad doesn't seem to call supportedViewConfigurations at all, only Garageband does.

On MacOS, Logic Pro does call supportedViewConfigurations but only provides oversized screen sizes, making the plugins look awkward.

I can also remove the supportedViewConfigurations method on MacOS, but this introduces other issues:

I guess my question boils down to this: how do I tell Logic Pro X on MacOS what the optimal window size of my plugin is, using Mac Catalyst?

Accepted Reply

Answering myself for posterity: I forwarded the question to Apple Code Level Support.

Their answer is, in summary: not possible at this time (June '23). The host determines the possible window dimensions, and plugins have no influence over these, nor can they suggest suitable dimensions to the host.

Replies

Answering myself for posterity: I forwarded the question to Apple Code Level Support.

Their answer is, in summary: not possible at this time (June '23). The host determines the possible window dimensions, and plugins have no influence over these, nor can they suggest suitable dimensions to the host.

I have related question - were you able to get the "tile" view in logic pro for ipad to render? That's the view in effect strip, before expanding it? For some reason i only get the blank square for my auv3 plugin.