Is there any plan in the future to open up an API for accessing the current Wi-Fi frequency band information on iOS?

More and more routers are establishing Wi-Fi networks with a mixed frequency band of 2.4G and 5G, but most smart accessory (IoT devices) only support 2.4G Wi-Fi. Our business requires us to determine the current Wi-Fi frequency band information that iOS is connected to, and if it is 5G, provide a reminder to the user.

Replies

The Developer Forums is a place to discuss questions you may have during your current development process and therefore we cannot speak about any plans for the future. If you have a need for an API I would recommend opening and enhancement request.

Having said that above, if you are an Accessory Developer then you may want to take a look at what is available in External Accessory set of APIs that are available in the MFi program. I do not know if they provide frequency information but do know they provide a bit more information for Developers specifically who are manufacturing Accessories and enroll them in the MFi program.

If you have a need for an API I would recommend opening and enhancement request.

Agreed. Most folks who run into iOS Wi-Fi limitations are asking for stuff that’s very unlikely to happen. In this case, however, an API that returns a 2.4 GHz vs 5 GHz discriminator seems reasonable enough. It’d fit in right alongside the recently added securityType property.

Make sure not to ask for the exact Wi-Fi channel. That’s more entropy than you need.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"