Why should Chinese and English be displayed in two different fonts in iOS

I am a design practitioner, Why should Chinese and English be displayed in two different fonts in iOS? What problems would arise if only one font was used in an app? Hope to receive an answer

Accepted Reply

Chinese and English usually require different fonts! For example, Arial does not support Chinese characters, but when you try to give Chinese characters the Arial font, the system defaults to some other font that does contain Chinese characters (ideally one that has the same style as Arial). And for some reason it still says the font is Arial when it is not. In iOS, I am assuming using two different fonts essentially allows you to give default fonts for both languages.

Replies

Chinese and English usually require different fonts! For example, Arial does not support Chinese characters, but when you try to give Chinese characters the Arial font, the system defaults to some other font that does contain Chinese characters (ideally one that has the same style as Arial). And for some reason it still says the font is Arial when it is not. In iOS, I am assuming using two different fonts essentially allows you to give default fonts for both languages.

thanks