What happens when I turn beta updates off on my iPhone and iPad?

I was on the public beta on my iPhone and I moved it to developer beta but want to switch it back to public beta. I can't see the option to to do that neither do I see the profile in VPN and Device management. I tried to restore my iPhone but that didn't workout (although I would prefer not to restore my iPhone).

My plan is to get back to public beta or at least the regular updates. So I have turned the beta updates off but still on iOS 17.

So my question is, what happens when I turn it off? Do I get updates for the regular updates when it is released or will I be stuck in the update I have now?

Accepted Reply

Hello @chizy,

Turning off beta updates while running a beta means you won’t get any updates: no beta updates (because you turned them off) and no ”regular” updates (because you can’t install an earlier version of the OS over a newer version without erasing/restoring your device).

If you were in the iOS 16 public beta, then installed the iOS 17 developer beta, you will need to restore your device to iOS 16 to get any future iOS 16 updates, or enable beta updates to get any future iOS 17 beta updates.

Additionally, the process of installing public beta software changed recently. It no longer uses profiles. Instead, it is tied to your Apple ID and shows up in Software Updates.

—Jason.

• Thank you @Jason , this was helpful.

Add a Comment

Replies

Hello @chizy,

Turning off beta updates while running a beta means you won’t get any updates: no beta updates (because you turned them off) and no ”regular” updates (because you can’t install an earlier version of the OS over a newer version without erasing/restoring your device).

If you were in the iOS 16 public beta, then installed the iOS 17 developer beta, you will need to restore your device to iOS 16 to get any future iOS 16 updates, or enable beta updates to get any future iOS 17 beta updates.

Additionally, the process of installing public beta software changed recently. It no longer uses profiles. Instead, it is tied to your Apple ID and shows up in Software Updates.

—Jason.

• Thank you @Jason , this was helpful.

Add a Comment