QuickLook preview for a system supported file extension

I'm working on a QuickLook extension for the file extension snd.

This extension was used by multiple companies in the 90s most notably by Sun. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Au_file_format

However it was also used by companies manufacturing samplers and synthesiser.

I'd like to preview files from the latter, however I was not able to make my extension run when these files are previewed.

To verify my extension works I added an exported UTI with the file extension dmf which is completely owned by my app and preview and opening the files work as expected.

However for the snd extension the system always uses the same preview (I assume QuickTime) and it doesn't matter if I associate my app with all files using the file extension.

I'm assuming since it's impossible to tell just from the filename what kind of file this is the system just simply assumes it's a Sun file format and uses one of the first part previews, QuickTime or maybe Audio.qlgenerator.

Is there any way I could override this behaviour just for this one file extension?

(As a side note I guess I could try the older QLGenerator route as well, but I recall not being able to play back audio files with those APIs no matter what I tried)

Any help would be welcome.