How to detect touch pressure in a post-3D Touch world?

Hi all,

I'm working on an iOS app that takes a user's input via touch and returns audio and haptic feedback relative to how hard the user touches the screen (i.e., the harder the user touches the screen, the louder the volume and stronger the haptic response will be). The problem is that the tracking of pressure sensitivity only seems to be available on iOS devices with 3D Touch functionality, which Apple discontinued in 2019-2020 in favor of the much simpler Haptic Touch functionality, which does not appear to offer dynamic tracking of touch inputs.

How does this affect my users? Well, those who have an older iPhone between 6s and 11 (excluding SE and XR) will have access to a fully functional immersive environment that provides dynamic audio and haptic responses based on the pressure of their touch inputs - exactly as intended. Unfortunately, the majority of my users who use an iPhone 12 or above will be left with a static environment that provides the same audio and haptic response regardless of the pressure of their touch inputs. Ironically, users with old iPhones will have full access to my app's functionality, while users with new iPhones will be excluded from the experience that I wish to provide.

As a developer who is passionate about providing dynamic and immersive experiences to more than a subset of his users, Apple's dropping of 3D Touch for Haptic Touch feels like a massive downgrade in terms of functionality and performance.

Is there any way to bypass the limitations of the new Haptic Touch iPhones so that I can record touch pressure sensitivity and provide new iPhone users with the same dynamic experience that old iPhone users enjoy?