Download offline map available programmatically?

Subject says it all: is or will there be a way to download offline maps programmatically?

Accepted Reply

Someone stated during the WWDC 23 discussions that offline maps were not available to us and suggested filing a feature request.

• do you know if that includes offline maps being used in existing apps the use mapkit?

like if a user downloads a region can we still show that region in a MapView?

• @bmaul I assumed that they would have mentioned if offline maps were shared. Testing it is pretty easy and, as expected, offline maps in Apple's Maps.app do not affect the maps cached in my mapKit app. Maybe that's something they would add at some point if enough people file feedback feature requests? Seems like it would have privacy implications that they would want to handle if the feature is added but doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

Add a Comment

Replies

Someone stated during the WWDC 23 discussions that offline maps were not available to us and suggested filing a feature request.

• do you know if that includes offline maps being used in existing apps the use mapkit?

like if a user downloads a region can we still show that region in a MapView?

• @bmaul I assumed that they would have mentioned if offline maps were shared. Testing it is pretty easy and, as expected, offline maps in Apple's Maps.app do not affect the maps cached in my mapKit app. Maybe that's something they would add at some point if enough people file feedback feature requests? Seems like it would have privacy implications that they would want to handle if the feature is added but doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

Add a Comment